Scantronic ION-40 - installation question

The reason for concern is that the new manual has 2 cautions.

1) No mains within 1 metre of box
2) Any spur to come in from the sides or below and never put the mains vertically between the 2 aerials at the top (which is approx where my ring main will run).
The increasing use of data links using the mains wiring is creating problems as the data is carried on radio frequency signal along the mains cables which radiate some of these radio frequency energy into the space around them. Many circuits have single side stubs (*) so the out and return signals are not equal and opposite so radiated energy levels can be high.

(*) the live and switched live to a switch are a single side stub, They have no compensating neutral in the cable so they act as an aerial for the radio frequency signals that are being our onto the mains wiring by the data transmission units.

Sponsored Links
Hello David,

It' going to be a busy christmas then. Well done for cracking on. The reason I've posted is that it might be better if you keep future posts regarding the warning device in this thread rather than start a new one. In that way, you have a complete rundown from start to finish, but that's up to you really, it's no big deal. I see that Eighty Two is on the case also, and you can rely on him for real professional advice. Good on Bernard for pointing out the finer electronic aspects. Very good point regarding the increasing amount of traffic on the mains supply.

Best Wishes,

Chain Daisy.

I really don't know why people bother with manuals when they are going to do do their own thing and disregard them.

I've always understood manuals tell you how to do it the correct way.

Still who am I /we to say what is right / wrong?

Hello David,

You can safely disregard the last post as utter rubbish, it is not relevant to your original post. You may see more 'off topic one liners' just listen to people like Eighty Two, He's a true professional who does not deal in nonsense.

Best Wishes,

Chain Daisy.

Sponsored Links
Hello David,

You can safely disregard the last post as utter rubbish, it is not relevant to your original post. You may see more 'off topic one liners' just listen to people like Eighty Two, He's a true professional who does not deal in nonsense.

Best Wishes,

Chain Daisy.
Are you an alarm engineer or just a complete troll, the polite word.

There is a right and a wrong way to do things, you are advocating the wrong.

A mains cable, part of a ring main, BETWEEN, the twin aerials to the control panel. You're having a laugh.

Ok, let's hope there are no problems in the future, but I won't hold my breath.

And I like EightyTwo's last words "it's not good practice but we've got away with it so far!

daisy, you know it's wrong, admit it, or are you too embarrassed to admit the truth?

Chain daisy is WRONG to ignore the effect of a mains lead or any other conductive item in close proximity to an aerial.

A conductive item, even one that is not connected to anything can alter the way the aerial works. Close to a transmitter aerial it can result in the transmitted energy being in a beam instead of being radiated in all directions. A similar effect with a receiver means the receiver will be directional and be more receptive to signals from one direction.

Size of the conductive item and its distance ( in quarter wavelengths ) from the aerial determine what effect it will have on the radio signals.

Thanks to all for their comments.

It is clear from the responses that there is a risk of interference so I will be following one of the suggestions of putting it in the correct position before final installation with a temporary keyboard link and trying out the signal strength at various points in the home with the PIRs

I was intending to play with the network port anyway so hopefully I can link it to my router and then walk around with the ipad doing signal tests !!

Hello David,

I just need to clarify the situation. We are both agreed that there is a possibility of induction from the mains supply, and have treated the topic accordingly. In a earlier post I congratulated Bernard Green as regards his precise electronic pronunciations on the subject, since this is a very real, and potentially problemmatic area. However in a further post, Bernard implies that I am unaware of the potential, and although thanking him for his input at " .... Good on Bernard for pointing out the finer electronic aspects...."

His later post contains the following:-

"....Chain daisy is WRONG to ignore the effect of a mains lead or any other conductive item in close proximity to an aerial...."

Perhaps it might be helpful to your original query if Bernard could state categorically and precisely where this anommaly lies. Of course I have mentioned the fact that in the past, I too have been guilty of running mains beside alarm cable, but that does not detract from our obvious joint concerns. If, however, I have mentioned anything to the contrary with regard to the topic, accept my apologies.

Best Wishes,

Chain Daisy.

To the Mods.

I fully understand why you are there etc, what I don't understand is the removal of posts, mine & others with no explanation either in the thread or by PM.

Thanks for everyone's help, I am not trying to spark off arguments between professionals, all of the responses have been helpful to me.

I have also found a useful guide:-

http://www.coopersecurity.co.uk/rep...ystem_installation_GDE-SCAN-RADIO-16pp_v3.pdf

That highlights the issues of having wires or pipes close to aerials, however the main thing that I take out of it is to check and see what works in reality !!

All of these exchanges have helped me through the issues that I will have to consider as I check install / check my replacement system.

Have a good Christmas guys.

Hello David,

For your benefit only, it would be helpful if Bernard could point to my actual statement, rather than issue a 'one liner' which is of no consequence on it's own. The precise statement then Bernard, in full and not out of context, whether I am right or wrong. Thankyou for your help.

Best Wishes David,

Chain Daisy.

Hello David,

In your own interests, regardless of your opinions vented in other posts, I should draw your attention once again to the 'one liner' post submitted by Bernard which requires further clarification for your benefit. You see, a 'one liner' can throw you off course. It may not apply to you nonetheless, there are others who may not be as intelligent as yourself who shall most certainly be 'swayed'. I can take it therefore that my earlier note to yourself is of no consequence to you whatsoever, but that's your decision.

" .... Adjacent metal making an aerial directional is nothing to do with interference.... "

The above 'one liner' is devoid of a reason. It does not satisfy the desire for explanation. If you are happy with this mode of conduct, I wish you well for the future.

Best Wishes,

Chain Daisy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back