Scotland

less than 1% of the scottish population can speak any gaelic, but probably something like 25% or more of BBC scotlands output is in that language - could a broadcasting company be more out of touch

It is similar in Wales, where they went to the expense of changing the road signs and printing 'ARAF' on every road.

Sponsored Links
why ?

there is an entire channel devoted to gaelic, how many bbc scotland tv channels are devoted to the language. 99% of the population speak ?
I watch BBC Scotland when I visit, I don't recall 25% Gaelic output, do you mean BBC Alba?

I watch BBC Scotland when I visit, I don't recall 25% Gaelic output, do you mean BBC Alba?
as far as i know alba is all gaelic. so how many other channels produced by bbc scotland are in english?

Sponsored Links
Whilst I support these languages being kept alive, I'm not sure what I think about the educational aspect. I feel children's time (in a school setting) would be better spent learning another European language (Italian, Spanish, French) that has the potential to be of more use in years to come? The following asserts bilingual children are higher achievers.

Whilst I support these languages being kept alive, I'm not sure what I think about the educational aspect. I feel children's time (in a school setting) would be better spent learning another European language (Italian, Spanish, French) that has the potential to be of more use in years to come? The following asserts bilingual children are higher achievers.

But should they learn a language simply for it “to be of more use”, rather than to preserve an existing language in a country where “only 1% of the native population” speak it?

Clearly the Gaelic language schools work since they wipe the floor with all the English speaking schools in Glasgow and the only competition they have are the super expensive private schools.

It may well be that the learning a 2nd language from an early age coupled with the culture in the school encourages academic performance.

It’s also proven to help people learn further languages in later life.

It’s win win for me.

As for all that stuff about BBC ALBA, how many English BBC Scotland channels are there?

One… which takes up the lions share of the budget. Not really sure what the whinge there is other than a population in Scotland who speak the native language gets serviced with some tv shows. How that somehow adversely affects everyone else I don’t know.

the bbc has very strange ideas of what is representative of anything british, it does its very best to promote any minorities as being the norm
That's true, but it is fine with me when the minority is traditionally British. Britain, outside of the big cities, is a collection of remote, minority communities - and I use those last two words in their traditional, non-political meanings.

BBC Alba is about the only modern BBC output I will watch; there are some great music programmes. (They are not all in garlic). It might be on the BBC because of political correctness, but I'm glad it's there. I can't see them starting a channel devoted to Cumbrian hound trailing or Yorkshire clog dancing any time soon though.

That's true, but it is fine with me when the minority is traditionally British. Britain, outside of the big cities, is a collection of remote, minority communities - and I use those last two words in their traditional, non-political meanings.

BBC Alba is about the only modern BBC output I will watch; there are some great music programmes. (They are not all in garlic). It might be on the BBC because of political correctness, but I'm glad it's there. I can't see them starting a channel devoted to Cumbrian hound trailing or Yorkshire clog dancing any time soon though.
We are so lucky to have remote control switching these days, else I don't know how some of you snowflakes would manage.

They are coming for our coconutters...

Blackamoors have been around since the end of the Medieval age and this looks like a version of Morris Dancing. Very odd to modern eyes and deeply offensive to ethnic minorities for their links to slavery.
Do you care if this archaic ritual is consigned to history? Will you really miss it?

Blackamoors have been around since the end of the Medieval age and this looks like a version of Morris Dancing. Very odd to modern eyes and deeply offensive to ethnic minorities for their links to slavery.
Do you care if this archaic ritual is consigned to history? Will you really miss it?
they get offended by about everything - WOLF gets shouted a little too often.

i'm surprised the tory leadership contest has not been declared racist, there's two white people in it, how dare they.

Sponsored Links
Back