scrap copper cylinders

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
just wondered what your experiences of taking in scrap cylinders were.
where i take mine they dont weigh them jost allow you 10kg, even if they are unlagged and clean.

Sponsored Links
just wondered what other area scrap dealers were like.i stripped down a powermax with a copper cylinder that weighed 31kg,after their story about theres stainless in it we lose money blah blah they only offered me 18kg,that to me is £40 down on what i think i should have got.

Sponsored Links
They dont care if its clean or dirty copper they weigh all the same,dont care if cylinders lagged or the gate valve has not been removed

All copper cylinders need to be environmentally disposed off to save any more damage to the atmosphere. So if you could drop them off at my place i will take care of them for you.

I go to a local independant scrap merchant who pay the weight regardless of lagging etc. If its heavily scaled they just pay at the weight it should weigh for size. a 900x450 should be about 13kg in copper. I get just over £50 for everyone. Took in 4 cylinders and 4 average size bags of old pipe and offcuts and got £450 yesterday.

I just weighed a bare copper one which I happened to have in the corridor and it was 16 kg although it may be a thicker type as it seems quite thick.

I will probably keep it for playing with my solar panels when I get round to fitting some.

Tony

it was 16 kg although it may be a thicker type as it seems quite thick.

The term you're looking for is 'graded' , that 'thick' :rolleyes: cylinder sitting in you're hallway could possibly be a grade 1 or 2.

I realise that but its quicker to just say thicker rather than grade 1 or Grade 2 !

The scrap places are mostly out to rip people off and I do not like them as they are full of crooks who have stolen the metals.

I used to have a friend who bought a scrap business and he told me that they cannot make a profit without falsely measuring th weight and he told me some of the tricks they use.

Try weighing some of the metal before you take it there and see how their measurements compare with yours.

Tony

just wondered what other area scrap dealers were like.i stripped down a powermax with a copper cylinder that weighed 31kg,after their story about theres stainless in it we lose money blah blah they only offered me 18kg,that to me is £40 down on what i think i should have got.
In Norfolk - sounds like you`re dealing with some of my distant relatives :LOL: @ least they get the story right down here - it`s not copper it`s Braziery :idea: and it`s less than clean copper - always weighed in too ;)

All copper cylinders need to be environmentally disposed off to save any more damage to the atmosphere. So if you could drop them off at my place i will take care of them for you.

Bleedin' bin dipper. Find a dead cat and think its a treat?

Mods Only kidding. (its a football thing)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back