Scrap etiquette

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I’m going to be getting quotes for a new combi boiler install to replace my existing fully pumped system. This will involve scrapping the existing HW cylinder (approx 15 years old) and a Worcester Ri 12kW system boiler (6 years old). Is the boiler worth anything to anyone to be re-used? Or would it be scrapped? Either way, is it common practice to ask to keep the old parts and scrap them yourself, or just let the heating engineer scrap them? I presume the quotes wont make any deductions for the resale of scrap/old parts.

Sponsored Links
Doesn't happen often but when I get a customer that wants to keep the scrap have to let them have it as it's there property (most are happy to let us get rid of though) what they don't get is any help from me though, if they want to keep it they can struggle getting it out the airing cupboard and down the stairs themselves :LOL:

Just out of interest, why are you scrapping a 6 year old boiler? Is it purely because you'd like a combi?

Your system sounds like it has loads of life left in it. If you're spending a lot of money to lighten your gas bill, the payback will be years away, if ever.

Anyway. I factor the scrap value into the quote to a certain point and it keeps me in fags. If the customer wants the scrap, the quote is higher. If they're that petty, I might not even bother to quote.

You could always ask the plumber if he is binning the boiler. If he is, you could stick it on Ebay as plenty of people pay good money for used but working boilers. I once sold an Ideal Icos boiler on Ebay for £200 and the buyer travelled from the Midlands. I was going to skip the P O S, but thought I would see what it fetched with no reserve. To say I was surprised is an understatement.

Sponsored Links
You need to make sure the installer is aware that you intend to keep the scrap before they quote as they may have factored the scrap value in their quote.

Also be prepared to lug it down the stairs yourself.

Generally customers that weigh in the scrap themselves are not considered highly, but it's your prerogative.

If the customer wants to keep the scrap they pay for waste disposal or get rid of the rubbish themselves. The scrap pays for the cost of waste disposal.

My quotes always specify to remove and clear away all redundant equipment and I specify anything that is to be left on site like old galvy tanks in lofts etc.

I take all rubbish (boxes rubble tanks scrap) or nothing (everything is left)

Dont keep the scrap you will only get £100 at most and it will put you in a bad light

Check the contract I state i will take away everything, no boxes/pipe hanging out of walls etc

If you want your cake and eat it, no problem either, i actually preference it, a worthless galv tank cut from loft is loads of effort and a copper cylinder is worth the time it takes to rip out and chop the insulation off.

But a customer that has expressly stated they want the scrap/old boiler will automatically set off alarm bells.
Honestly for me personally, i couldn't care less either way these days, it is not a common occurrence for me, but some bloke wanted the tanks so his son could do practice welding on copper and another women who wanted the cwsc in the garden to grow potatoes out of

I guess there are exceptions to the rule.... such as practical uses for the otherwise serviceable items.

Like I said - mixed feelings and alarm bells. Think of it like some of the threads on here. Sometimes you begrudge passing on the knowledge because you know there is some poor barsteward engineer out there being hounded by a Google warrior.

But sometimes you get a poster who appreciates good workmanship and just wants to understand what is going on.

But a customer that has expressly stated they want the scrap/old boiler will automatically set off alarm bells.
Honestly for me personally, i couldn't care less either way these days, it is not a common occurrence for me, but some bloke wanted the tanks so his son could do practice welding on copper and another women who wanted the cwsc in the garden to grow potatoes out of

If the customer has a garden I'll always ask if they want the old storage cistern to use as a water butt. If they don't my local allotment takes them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back