Scratched chinmey hood

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
I have a black metal chimney hood over my cooker. My beloved daughter decided to clean the kitchen and took a scouring pad to everything. Consequently I now have a scratched chimney hood. Does anyone have any ideas on how to hide these?...

Sponsored Links
I assume you mean painted metal, not chemical blacking.

Take it off and respray. Never spray inside the house. Do it outside and practice on a biscuit-tin first. Or paint it thinly with a large brush.

A few small scratches can be touched up, like on a car. But so that the touch-up does not look worse than the scratch, you have to use a paintbrush with a point on it as fine as the scratch :eek: one way is to shave down a fine artist's brush. Don't use the blobby things you get in the touch-up kits.

Another useful tip (the slattern's friend) is to use lower-power lightbulbs, or turn the spots away from the things you don't want people to notice.

If it's light surface scratching & it is paint, you may be able to polish them out with T Cut & some elbow grease. It's an abrasive, amonia based paint cleaner (you can get it from Halfords) but don't go too mad or you could wear through the paint.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back