Screeching toilet - what could I try?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is my Atlas toilet

http://www.rasheff.com/atlas_toilet.jpg

and this is the inside

http://www.rasheff.com/inside.jpg

I have had a problem with my toilet for months. It screeches away. This never happens when flushing the toilet but sometimes a few minutes after it has refilled with water. However, sometimes it will just start screeching in the middle of the night, seemingly without provocation. It can continue screeching for about 40 minutes before stopping. Turning a tap on in say the kitchen can cause it to start screeching.

There is always a temporary cure. If I lift the tank lid and press the float down just a touch to release some water, the screech stops instantly.

I know very little about plumbing. I was wondering if anybody could give me any advice on how to try some things to stop the screeching noise.

Thanks. :D

Sponsored Links
OK, can I replace it with any fill valve? I know the original was a A201 fill valve, but a quick Google and I don't think you can buy it anymore.

Also, is it difficult to replace, do you need a plumber? or is just a case of turning off the water, unscrewing and replacing.

Thanks.

Turn off water supply to toilet, lift arm on float valve and rotate 90 degrees. The top will come off, remove washer, replace washer and refit top section. Turn water back on and test.

Andy

Sponsored Links
thanks Andy, I'll give that a go. Got to go and get my new washer tomorrow first though! :D

I replaced the float valve with a new one from B&Q (only £12) and that has totally corrected the problem. No more screeching!

Thanks a lot guys for your help. :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back