SDS drill extension?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I do have some SDS drills about 900 mm long.

But sometimes I would like to drill longer distances into inaccessible places.

Has anyone ever seen any SDS extension pieces?

Tony

Sponsored Links
Milwaukee make them for SDS Max bits, even an extension bar that converts from an SDS Plus drill to an SDS max shank, which you then connect the coupler and put the SDS Max drill bit into.

63600_Max-Lok-System-lg.gif

No-one seems to make an SDS Plus extension though. You can get longer SDS bits than what you have though, 1500mm...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B000OLC6H0

Gaz :)

Yes, I am aware of those but I am more interested in having a capability for drilling up to say 2000 mm or ideally longer with a way to separate the bits!

I have also been doing some thinking and have an idea of perhaps using 1/2" steel tube and fitting it over a 14 mm drill with pin and connecting the far end to a 24 mm drill where I have ground down the shank to fit inside the steel tube with a cross drilled hole to insert a pin.

Has anyone any experience of successfully turning the cheaper masonry drills on a lathe? I doubt they are very hard steel. Although I usually find its quicker using an angle grinder rather than a cutting tool.

I need to do more investigation but my hallway seems to have a solid floor and I want to be able to pass pipes and cables under it. It might have a suspended concrete floor but it certainly feels fairly solid. With the walls on either side its a span of about 2000mm.

I loaned my sds to a mate once and when I got it back the core drill extension was a bent as a nine bob note.
The idiot had been coring with it on hammer, it wasn't a really expensive one, but it wasn't the cheapest either.
Anyway the point is if an sds will do that to a proper extension I doubt if a homemade one will be much good.
Unless you can make it out of Valyrian steel. ;)
Also tony, how would you drill through the drill shafts for the pins? They ARE Valyrian steel. :LOL:

Sponsored Links
I loaned my sds to a mate once and when I got it back the core drill extension was a bent as a nine bob note.
The idiot had been coring with it on hammer, it wasn't a really expensive one, but it wasn't the cheapest either.
Anyway the point is if an sds will do that to a proper extension I doubt if a homemade one will be much good.
Unless you can make it out of Valyrian steel. ;)
Also tony, how would you drill through the drill shafts for the pins? They ARE Valyrian steel. :LOL:

He's planning another Hatton Garden raid la & as a scouser I'd of thought you'd be more receptive & helpful when criminal activity was involved????!!!!

Don't you mean vanadium steel?

I have some tungsten carbide tipped HSS drills which will drill into almost anything like stainless and cast iron.

So don't see that as any problem!

Tony

Use Diamond core drills.
As they are 1/2" Bspt you can make extensions with steel pipe.

Thought they had gone out of business?

I think that I will stick with chrome vanadium steel thank you.

Having said that the cheap masonry drills are not a lot more than just iron anyway.

I had a 10 mm one snap in the middle a few weeks ago,

You're missing out Tony, get in to game of thrones mate. It's fookin brilliant.
And you've got 5 series to catch up with if you've never seen it. ;)

I needed to pass a cable under a wide path (in several places) recently.

I got an old meter long 16mm bit, cut in half and welded a meter long threaded rod in the middle. Frankendrill as it's affectionately know by several of my colleagues has since been through some rather thick sandstone and concrete walls and survived.

I'm a really messy and poor welder so I imagine if you found a decent engineering outfit near you they could build a pretty decent setup for you.

David.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back