SDS drill speed?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am buying an SDS drill from Screwfix as my Bosch hammer drill will not touch my walls. If I use a 10mm x 450mm drill to go through my outside wall, what sort of speed should I use? With a normal hammer drill it is best on a slow speed but does this apply to an SDS drill? Sorry if this is an obvious and stupid question.

Cheers

Brian

Sponsored Links
Yes slow is good with SDS. It's the joules and impact rates that matter

Most SDS drills run at a speed of 800 to 1000rpm. Whilst pretty much every drill on the market features variable speed you generally run at full speed except when starting a hole where a bit more control can sometimes be had by running more slowly just to get the hole started

The speed on an SDS drill is controlled by the trigger, but as you increase the speed, you'll also increase the hammer action. So the trick is to start slow so that the drill doesn't slip around, and then increase the speed so that it starts to cut through the material you're drilling. Some bricks are softish, and you'll go through slow but quick, and some concrete will have you going at full speed, and getting nowhere fast. Trial and error

Sponsored Links
I found that starting off without the hammer action is a good idea, at least until the hole is sufficient to ensure the drill bit doesn't slip out. Then turn on the hammer action to get on with it.

Go through the plaster at high speed without the hammer/sds action, then turn on hammer/sds and a medium speed seems to work for me

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back