sealing around a pipe that comes through roof

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, hope someone can give me some advise, i have had a small amount of water coming into the house over the years, thankfully not enough to worry me to much, it seems to be runing down the soil / vent pipe that comes through the roof, i have had it repaired twice over the past few years, it seems to have started again, as i dont have access to an extension ladder, is there any materials (silicones) i could use from inside the loft that could be pumped through any space i can see around the pipes,i keep a container against the pipe to catch the small amount of water that is coming in,so the house stays dry,

Sponsored Links
thanks alastair for fast reply, i will look into getting someone to replace weather slate

Its a twenty minute job probably looking at around £80 to £100. no more.

Sponsored Links
Alastair you must be the fastest roofer in the north, it takes me 20 mins to get my ladders of the van :LOL:

Time on roof to fit the slate ;)

Not travel, material sourcing, putting ladders up having a cuppa or reading paper :p

how does the weathering slate seal the thin vent pipe which seems to be beside the soil pipe

I cant see from that picture but is that the t.v aerial sticking out of that vent.

i got a digital aerial fitted years ago, and they attached it to the vent pipe
i did'nt realise till much later that the weight of the aerial was making the vent pipe a bit lopsided, so i managed to straighten and secure vent pipe from inside loft, i think this could have had something to do with the water getting in, i believe this pipe was used for the old heating system,
its difficult to check where the pipe goes ,as the loft is so low ,especially at that point

Get a roofer to take a look its possible no probably the t.v aerial is the culprit.

thanks catlad, if the pipe that supports the aerial is the culprit ,how can the vent pipe be sealed

I dont think you can do anything from the inside, a roofer on the roof will see the problem.

I noticed the aerial but it looked to me to be sitting further down from the svp.

It may be the lead slate but its the first time I have seen t.v aerial put on a soil pipe :eek:

it was my son that got a digital aerial fitted , i did'nt realise that they had attached it to that pipe till much later, ( i should have checked the work when i came home , but did'nt, ) looks like i have two options
1. get a roofer to check the vent pipe, to see if it can be sealed, (not sure how that would have to be done,)

if the vent pipe is found to be no longer in use, this house used to have a water tank upstairs & a copper tank downstairs for hot water, now it has a combi boiler, so i think that pipe had something to do with the old system & may not be needed,

2.take away vent pipe, relocate aerial ,get remaining soil pipe sealed with a weathering slate

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back