Sealing window in frame

mo2

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi,

is it possible if I have some glass stuck in a frame with a spacer going all the way round to get a sheet of glass and stick it on top? will post some pics if you want, this is internal.

Sponsored Links
do you mean home-made double glazing? Yes you can. You should have a pin-sized ventilation hole of the space going through the frame to the OUTDOOR side. This will prevent condensation misting. You can plug the hole with a wisp of fibreglass insulation to kep insects out.

sorry, but how do I actually do that?

edit - for example what do i use to stick them together?

Do you mean double glazing with an air gap?

What are you trying to achieve?

Sponsored Links
that right

it was 4mm glass 4mm space 4mm glass but i broke one side glass so I want to put another pane ontop without the hassle of removing the other pane etc. also it would be cheaper

It can be done by putting a 12mm wooden strip in the frame and then treating the strip as the rebate.

the new pane can be fixed with beading if it is indoors.

JohnD said:
It can be done by putting a 12mm wooden strip in the frame and then treating the strip as the rebate.

the new pane can be fixed with beading if it is indoors.

u lost me there, where would the strip go?

edit_ what i thought i could do is get something sticky like silicone or that black stuff put it on the metal spacer and stick the glass on

What are your window frames made of?

The ones I've done had more thickness of frame, being fixed not opening lights, so this might not work but:

- Remove all the old damaged stuff

- Put in a wooden strip all the way round the frame. It has to touch the old glass, and give a surface for the new pane to press against. I do not know if you will be able to tack it to the frame as you may have the remains of the broken sealed unit in the way.

- Put in the new pane

- Tack beading round to hold it.

You can also use silicon from a gun which will seal well and hold it in place.

I have a feeling you will have to save up for a new sealed unit.

JohnD said:
The ones I've done had more thickness of frame, being fixed not opening lights, so this might not work but:

- Remove all the old damaged stuff

- Put in a wooden strip all the way round the frame. It has to touch the old glass, and give a surface for the new pane to press against. I do not know if you will be able to tack it to the frame as you may have the remains of the broken sealed unit in the way.

- Put in the new pane

- Tack beading round to hold it.

You can also use silicon from a gun which will seal well and hold it in place.

I have a feeling you will have to save up for a new sealed unit.

thanks for that John, this wooden strip, do I have to remove the metal thing and put in a 4mm thich strip? sorry about all these questions I havent done this kind of thing before and also why not simply use the metal spacer
edit - just read thru again and u mean kind of use the strip as frame for the new pane?

edit2v - u say 12mm strip, it' starting to form an image in my mind, does that mean part of the strip has to go behind the glass currently in the frame?

your help is appreciated
mo2

I originally said 12mm because that's what I use in my fixed lights. But I doubt you will have room for more than 6mm or so. Paint or stain it to match before applying the second pane.

The strip is to form a substitute for a rebate for the new pane to sit against, and hold it spaced away from the existing pane.

It just needs to be lightly tacked in place or held with sealant so it doesn't fall out. You don't need to remove the existing glass. You will probably be able to fit in on top of the existing sealed-unit edging, and it will hide any nasty looking bits.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back