secure bathtub to stud wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys. A friend has bought a cheap plastic bathtub which came with some pieces ob timber spread around its perimeter under its lip....i suppose the pieces of timber are to secure the bathtub to the wall. My question is how am i supposed to secure it? Am i supposed to go under the bathtub and screw through the pieces of timber and into the stud or noggins??.....or would i have to screw some sort of "U" shaped brackets to the pieces of timber possibly one leg of the "U" bracket higher than the other so that i can screw that to the studs without having to go under the bathtub? Thank you very much for your help.

Sponsored Links
Some com e with specific L shaped brackets that are secured to the wooden frame than the wall u sink or chase them into the wall.

Assuming it is not a corner type bath ?? than level it up apply some mastic ( silocone ) to the edge of the bath that will be up against the wall & shunt it into the wall ! give the legs a tap back to the wall !!
Sorted :)

a plastic bath should be 2/3 filled with water before siliconing in
if you have a physical connection to the wall this wont make any difference unless you allow a 10mm drop when securing

Hi transam thanks for the quick reply. It is a standard rectangular shaped bathtub. So do you mean to apply a bead of silicon sealant round its perimeter and shift it against the wall? Will that be enough? What do you mean "give the legs a tap back to the wall"? Ta.

Sponsored Links
Hi transam thanks for the quick reply. It is a standard rectangular shaped bathtub. So do you mean to apply a bead of silicon sealant round its perimeter and shift it against the wall? Will that be enough? What do you mean "give the legs a tap back to the wall"? Ta.

Yep silocone will do it , done loads & loads , never bothered with the water in the bath bit ,( but technically it is correct ) tap the legs/feet , give a slight tap towards the wall , helps to get it tight to the wall !

Yep silicone will do it , done loads & loads , never bothered with the water in the bath bit ,( but technically it is correct ) tap the legs/feet , give a slight tap towards the wall , helps to get it tight to the wall !
the reason is the silicon will set with the bath at lowest level then when empty will compress the silicon so the silicon will be half compressed and half streched this allows for less problems as the mastic is in a more neutral state on average [less stressed]

My personal preference is a 2x3 L-shaped ledge screwed to the studs with frames fixings. Big squelch of mastic down the side of the bath. Wedge the phecker in there by whatever means is best. Then set the feet, frame and what have you.

Remember to spread the load of the feet.

When sealing the bath to the wall fill the bath as mentioned above. those L shaped bracket supplied are about as much use a wet bog roll.

Site & level the bath(remember to consider the height of the bath panel?), mark around the bath where it meets the wall, remove the bath, fix 2 battens that will catch the underside of the bath(40x20 or 50x25 what ever will fit). Fit, pipe up & secure the bath, water test. Fill the bath as stated above, silicone as stated above.............Job done!!!

POsted this yonks ago for metal baths. ALso works to clamp a placcy one to a wall:
toclampabathtoawall.gif

On a stud wall it's often difficult to find a secure fixing for the screws or battens.
My preferrence is to glue batten to the wall using polyurethane glue - that's the sort that foams up slightly on curing. It has great gap filling properties too. Then after checking the bath sits level run either a bead of silicone along the wall or more glue along the top of the batten (or both), and place the bath into position.
Weigh the bath down using a fat mate (I have one who'll sleep there until the silicone has set) and Robert's your mother's brother.
Connect, fill up to the overflow level, and do the final silicone seal...step back and admire.

...Ah, forgot to mention, remove fat boy before connecting and filling, or bring towels.

MM

BTW MeldrewsMate, if you apply silicon to the wall and then you push the bathtub against it, whats the point in gluing batten to the wall?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back