Seeing as how you all like pictures so much

Sponsored Links
Probably not worth changing now, but I can see how it came about.
I was expecting a more high tec reason than that

As you say best to leave alone, as not a lot in it
Altering now will possibly force you to restrip and shorten the wires and cause unnecessary hassle.
Noted you have the proper crimp tool,well done.

Sponsored Links
They actually look far far worse on the photos than they really are - must be the flash casting strong shadows.

I use one of these:

images

and they grip the insulation and leave a few little dents, but not gouges like the pics appear to show...

the RCD should be i the house so that all components that are outside are protected by it.

The only thing not protected by the RCD would be the supply cable but we all know that's not necessary.....
There's no reason why the RCD can't be located there.

Anyway - I inspected the crimping closely, and it was just a case of the sleeving not quite lining up on one of the conductors - the actual cores were securely joined.

So I applied some heat-shrink:

filled the boxes with compound:

and screwed down the lids, then wrapped the whole lot in self-amalgamating. (No photos of that).

Before sealing everything up, BTW, I checked continuity (R1+R2 & Rn+(Rs?? is there a symbol for the armour resistance??)) at each box and each light and insulation resistance - all OK.

All working fine now....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back