SERVOWARM Manual Diverter Valve (Jammed solid)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just inspected a jammed SERVOWARM manual diverter valve, which is jammed in the open position, so that hot water and central heating are both working.

These valves, I think, are obsolete. Or can you still get them ?

Perhaps I could simulate hot water only, by inserting a full bore lever valve in the central heating feed near the diverter.

Would this work. I think closing off the central heating pipework this way is probably the same job the diverter valve would do if it was working properly.

There are three pipes going into the jammed valve, one is 15mm and the other two are 22mm.

Which one is the central heating feed

Sponsored Links
the most cost effective option all round would be to change to a Y-plan

15mm is usually the cylinder; although I have seen some interesting servowarm installations over the years - Each one makes me laugh - The technology was there when these systems where installed; no idea why it wasn't used.

They were designed to be the lowest cost installations. The worst had F&E tanks in the loft that had to be filled with a bucket.

The most cost effective solution is to fit two gate valves in place of the manual diverter valve.

The most cost ineffective solution is a full control package! My experience is that these are fitted in the most basic homes which are still occupied by well below average income people.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Thanks Agile; I kinda guessed that; but these do make me laugh - You saying about the F&E without a ball-valve; I got the nice job of ripping one out this weekend as the heat exchanger has split down the side allowing a total mix of products and air - Makes some nice pretty colors when you fire it up :D

At one time they supplied a complete CH system for £999 inclusive.

Tony

Agile said:
They were designed to be the lowest cost installations. The worst had F&E tanks in the loft that had to be filled with a bucket.

No Tony, the worst had little "vases" (we called 'em Grecian Erns when I worked for Servowarm) that hung in the corner of a room with a single feed pipe connected to the system. Granted they still had to be topped up by hand though.

BTW if I told you how we used to work out heat losses you would either die of shock or laughter.

giblets said:
No Tony, the worst had little "vases" (we called 'em Grecian Erns when I worked for Servowarm) that hung in the corner of a room with a single feed pipe connected to the system. Granted they still had to be topped up by hand though.

I have to disagree with you on that!

They could be topped up by the lady of the house standing on a chair!

Not many ladies can get into the loft from the chair!

I still remember one lithe and gymnastic girl who could climb into the loft from a chair but she was something else! All three sisters were really good looking but one lived in a housing association flat in Acton while another lived in a £1.8M flat in Maida Vale. The hall alone with its marble tiles was larger than most London flats. I never discovered why she was living there and seemed to own it. Maybe it was a present from an Arab?

I even went into the bedroom with her! Just to look at the rads though.

Tony

Dear Agile

Thanks for the response re two gate valves to replace jammed manual diverter valve.

Surely, as the pipework is supposed to supply both hot water & central heating, or just hot water, there is no need to fit two gate valves, only one.

At no point should you need to turn both valves off.

This single valve could then be fitted into the central heating pipe, and when open you would get both hot water & central heating, and when off you would just get hot water, which is just like the original (awful) system.

Perhaps you could kindly confirm my thoughts

Well if you think that you know better then do what you want to as long as you dont blame me when you have problems.

I am not a DIYer.

Tony

Dear Agile

I don't appreciate your put down comments, I am looking for help.

Why do you suggest putting two valves on the pipe work, when the original equipment was effectively one.

It only turned off the central heating anyway.

If you put two valves on you would possibly be turning both hot water and central supplies off at once.

NOT TO BE RECOMMENDED.

By the way, I am not a DIYer, I am a City & Guilds qualified plumber, who has never experienced this type of valve, so pardon me for asking.

Thank you to CORGIGAZZA for the helpful information

Dear CORGIGAZZA

Your the best.

Have spoken to HRPC, who have the valve in stock.

Perfect information

The product name is "REGA DIVERTA" manual three port valve.

Thanks again

cadular said:
Dear Agile

I don't appreciate your put down comments, I am looking for help.

Why do you suggest putting two valves on the pipe work, when the original equipment was effectively one.

You now tell us that you are a qualified plumber. In that case I am very surprised that you are unable to realise how the old valve functioned.

When I give you free professional advice its obviously up to you whether you take it or not but its not very nice of you to argue against my advice when you dont understand the functions yourself.

The old valve is a constantly variable valve to balance CH against HW flows. The only way to simulate that function is with two constantly variable valves like gate valves. Its not just an on/off function its a differential valve! It needs to be set to the optimum position when using both HW and CH together, thats the balancing aspect.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back