Sex education.

Having made the decision to teach sex education, the authorities have a obligation to make sure it is done properly ( yes I know thats being naive on my part).

I don't consider this was done correctly in my grandsons case and he was infact given incorrect information.

I come from a generation that had no sex talks at school but I did go to an all boys school and had a yearly visit from the schools doctor, he saw every boy and you could talk freely to him, he did put my over active mind to rest a couple of times.

I don't consider that giving the job to a teacher is right, especially one that is not trained to do the job, I also believe that the person giving the talk should be the same gender as the class if for no other reason as being able to draw on his/her own experiences.

Sponsored Links
H&J said:
I also believe that the person giving the talk should be the same gender as the class if for no other reason as being able to draw on his/her own experiences.

While I understand what you are saying here, I would disagree because I believe it useful for one gender to understand the emotional processes of the other. The trouble is politicians don't really have a clue when it comes to education and just use the subject to score points from the opposition rather than for the benefit of the kids involved.

Yes Ian I agree, Ideally it would be better for both sexes to understand each others emotional processes(if you like). But like H&J says, can a woman truly understand how a young man feels or the same vise-versa, there are some area's where PC just can't work.

I believe there are some things that can be taught, but some also need that bit of extra tact or same sex experience, I am uncertain if an hours refresher here and there for your average teacher is enough though. I don't mean this the wrong way, but why should, say a history teacher, be expected to be up to speed on the latest STI issues?.

You are of course correct about politicians, they must get absolutely baffled by the b******t they hear.

petewood said:
I would feel that the person who had invited him should get their head examined.
so how would you feel about any stranger giving your children sex education then?
remember he is still innocent until proven guilty, how do you know that the person teaching your child isn't a pervert? simply that you don't.
At least a parent can be satisfied that they are giving good advice themselves.

Sponsored Links
david and julie said:
How would you feel if Michael Jackson was invited to give a sex education lesson at your local school i know it's hypothetical but am interested to see what the answers will be

Not like you that kendor to judge a man before the end of his trial.
You've done it again! Taking what i said out of context and getting the wrong end of the stick.
I'm not judging him at all i used him as an example as he is so much in the news at the moment to make a point and see what answers would come out of it, a lot of people have prejudged him and i was interested as to whether they would trust him against any other stranger teaching their child at school such a sensitive subject.
for one could you trust they would give good advice such as in the original post or if in fact that they might be secretly getting sexual gratification out of teaching such a subject you just don't know.
better in my mind that it is done at home properly.
Both Mum and Dad can have good advice to give.

To David and Julie:

I believe there are some things that can be taught, but some also need that bit of extra tact or same sex experience

Is this an unfortunate choice of words or do you really mean that a bisexual teacher could do a better job - and I'm not joking. It's an idea not to be dismissed out of hand.

why should, say a history teacher, be expected to be up to speed on the latest STI issues?.

Give these two an A for hitting that nail right on the head! Why indeed? What would OFSTED say if a school's only maths teacher didn't have so much as a GCSE in the subject?

kendor said:
petewood said:
I would feel that the person who had invited him should get their head examined.
so how would you feel about any stranger giving your children sex education then?
remember he is still innocent until proven guilty, how do you know that the person teaching your child isn't a pervert? simply that you don't.
At least a parent can be satisfied that they are giving good advice themselves.

Who's taking things out of context now? I was actually thinking that Michael Jackson's appearance would frighten the kids to death. ;)

Actually, any youth worker in this country is now vetted by the police so this should weed out most of the baddies.

I don't think I agree that a parent can be satisfied they can be giving good advice. I'm sure there are several areas of sex education where I would rather a trained professional teaches my kids than to do it myself.

People are not really innocent until proven guilty. If Michael Jackson molested those children then he is already guilty. If he didn't then he is innocent.
If you discovered that the person babysitting your kids had been arrested several times for sex crimes against children whilst babysitting them but aquitted each time, would you still feel comfortable with the arrangement?

If Michael Jackson is aquitted would you feel comfortable sending your kids to stay with him? I don't think I would.

felix said:
I believe there are some things that can be taught, but some also need that bit of extra tact or same sex experience

Is this an unfortunate choice of words or do you really mean that a bisexual teacher could do a better job - and I'm not joking. It's an idea not to be dismissed out of hand.

I don't even know why you are making this an issue. Surely a bisexual or gay teacher could do just as good a job as a straight one?

Surely a bisexual or gay teacher could do just as good a job as a straight one?

Actually, that's what I was trying to say - I think. A bisexual should have an advantage, all other things being equal, though I doubt whether you could fill all the necessary teaching posts if it was made a job requirement.

PS: Before somebody quotes Alex Comfort at me, I mean a practising bisexual.

I had sex-ed in year 4 (I think that is what it is called now), aged 8. I found it informative and if nothing else it makes you feel a bit grown-up knowing about such things before they actually happen. I then had much the same classes again aged 15, those really didn't have any impact as everything they taught we already knew, and we were far too intent on embarassing the female teacher.

So, I reckon 8-10 is a perfect age to give them a preliminary understanding of things growing, hair sprouting and people bleeding for several days without dying. Let p**n, biology textbooks (come on, we all looked up "Reproduction" in our GCSE biology books!) and conversations with friends teach them the rest.

Different people want/need to know different amounts. For some, the plain old "insert widget A" will suffice, that is what they are comfortable and happy with. Sex-ed is not intended to teach you everything there is to know about it. Some people feel quite ill or upset when they hear about some act or other that 50% of the population regard as perfectly normal and really rather nice. :LOL:

As to the sick and dizzy thing, I have often heard the female org*sm described as "like a sneeze but better", presumably said description written by a man who spent more time describing such things than actually honing his skills in producing them... :rolleyes: would any women care to pass comment on that? Only I have seen women sneeze and it really didn't seem to excite them in the slightest.

So, I would presume that said female teacher has misconstrued red strained faces and wobbly legs of former lovers to mean that they feel sick and dizzy. :LOL:

Sex-ed is not intended to teach you everything there is to know about it.

True enough. That would be taking too much time away from other subjects. I don't think you could justify more than one lesson a week.

Some people feel quite ill or upset when they hear about some act or other that 50% of the population regard as perfectly normal and really rather nice.

Probably because THEIR sex-ed was woefully inadequate!

felix said:
I don't think you could justify more than one lesson a week.

One lesson a week!! Only if they are learning the Kama Sutra. Or perhaps there is an awful lot more to sex than I have learnt in my sheltered life.

Probably because THEIR sex-ed was woefully inadequate!

Couldn't agree more.

My generation never had sex education as such but I seem to remember that condoms were a must have accessory from the age of 15, I personally never bothered as I really thought no girl would be interested in a spot covered boy.

I got married on my 18th birthday and my wife was 5 months pregnant, on reflection, I think condoms would have been a better purchase than clearasil.

46 years later same wife and the spots are gone.

Sponsored Links
Back