shared sewage pipes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I live in a 100year-old semi-detached cottage in a rural area, where we have mains water supply but are not connected to the main sewer system. The waste pipes from my property pass across my neighbour's property and empty into a cess pit under their garden. My neighbours have recently built a huge extension at the back of their house. The extension has been built over my drainage pipes. I was told that if anything went wrong with the pipe then it would be my responsibility to sort it out. I was told that it was "only through the kindness" of the neighbour's father that I had any drainage at all, since she had "been all for blocking it off altogether". I was also ordered to relocate the pipes so that they no longer crossed her property. Where do I stand with this? Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
have they been there since the start ???
or at least several dozen years ?? if so its you right and there responcibillity to give access if they have covered

I bought the house in 1993 and the system was in place then. As far as I am aware, the pipes have been there since the house was built.

Sponsored Links
This sort of issue should have been raised by the conveyancers when you bought the place, when the rights and responsibilities of both parties should have been made clear. Have you checked all your legal stuff from the purchase?

You should check your deeds to see if the drainage is mentioned. If your properties are registered I would also download a copy of your title registers - yours and your neighbours. You can do that online for a few quid each. My guess is the septic tank and drainage rights will be mentioned there. But as others have said even if it isn't mentioned anywhere you will have gained rights over the neighbours land just by the passage of time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back