shared supply earth issue

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Went to a job today

Building with two flats (Old building 100 years plus)

Shared supply split into two meters, TNS
Pre install tests showed high Zs on a socket circuit (32A) - 26ohms
Testing of Ze was 82 ohms.

It turned out that one flat had its MET connected to the twisted wire tail, off the supply cable
The other flat had its earth lugged onto a screw that holds the metal cable spreader box together. just before the cut out.

There was no continuity between the tail off the supply cable and the cable spreader

see pic

That metal box should be earthed to the supply cable I would have though? but its not.
It left one flat without an earth, Is that an DIY connection ?
e1.jpg

Appreciate your thoughts

Sponsored Links
For a start, as yu know the Ze is unacceptable. My thoughts is as they are simultaneously accessible exposed conductive parts they ought to be bonded together. As it is a common supply I don't see why you cant have one large MET.
I think the metal spreader ought to be earthed too, but that belongs to the DNO so is up to them to say. It does appear to be a DIY connection.

Sponsored Links
That is definitely a DIY bodge; no way would the DNO do that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back