shaver socket regs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
how close to the sink can the shaver socket be? Plus is it run of the normal 32amp ring or does it have its own supply with smaller load protection?

would you be o.k to put the socket under the sink in a cubard? or is there rules incase there is a leak above it?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Normally off the lighting circuit, 150mm rings a bell (thou don't quote me)

Don't like the idea of in a cupboard where water leakage is possible!

off the lighting circuit? is that correct? you say 150mm? you mean 1.5 lighting cable by that?

ye im also wondering if its a good idea in a cubard, but there would be less condinsation in there. I have a habbit of sitting down in the shower in the morning and catching an extra hour sleep! The extractor fan cant keep up with all my steam i create and there is water running down the walls.

How close to a sink/bath etc can it be?

Sponsored Links
Shaver points designed to be used in steamy old bathrooms so no sweat ( :LOL: ) where you put them. There's no distance regulation that i know of.
In the cupboard is OK. I'd locate it to the side away from potential water overspill.

Shaver points only about 20watts so usually they run off a lighting circuit. Or use an FCU rated at 3A if you going to run off a ring final.

Don't forget that all circuits in bathroom now must be RCD protected.

Perhaps I should make it clear that only shaver supply units complying with BS EN 61558-2-5 are permissible in Zone 2. The regs also state that it should be located where direct spray from showers is unlikely.

This is because shaver supply units to that spec are not to IPX4, the usual degree of protection required for electrical equipment installed in Zones 1 & 2.

If you can fit your shaver unit at least 3m horizontally from the edge of the bath or shower unit, then you can use a standard shaver socket.

its going to be about 1m away from the end of the bath. I guess the best place will be inside the cubard but away from where a water leek could happen.

o and the electrics and fuse/breaker box is only about 3 years old so got all the rcd stuff.

Thanks

DSC00949.jpg

so if its coming off the lighting circuit you now need another rcd on the red side of the board?

Its only to charge my shaver and may just get a convertor for a plug,

Or would you recommend i have my board upgraded? i take it that its only the case of a rcd being inserted in the board?

The easiest fix would be to swap the MCB which supplies the bathroom lighting circuit for an RCBO.

As you have a decend branded CU, I would expect them to be a stock item at most respectable wholesalers.

It doesnt matter if its a toothbrush charger or a MIG welder. Its a circuit in a bathroom.

So, if the shaver socket is on the lighting circuit then that needs to be RCD protected. Either by installing an RCBO in place of the existing cb, or by converting the board to have a second RCD.

my easiest route as the ceiling is down below is to come off the downstairs lighting

is it a case of coming off the dinning room light fitting below the bathroom with 1.5mm twin and earth straight to the shaver socket and then putting a rcbo in place of the mcb for downstairs lights ?

DSC00948.jpg

so live to the right side of the block where there is already 3 red wires and neutral to the black in the center and earth to earth.

or could i just put an extra rcbo in just for the shaver socket as the CU is below the bathroom aswell.

I also have some old red and black cable left over from when it was re-wired. would you advice to use this to keep colours the same in the CU?

Is there no way at all that you could supply the shaver socket from the bathroom lighting circuit?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back