shaver socket regs

Sponsored Links
While the regulations do state that all bathroom circuits must be RCD protected, what exactly is being achieved by having an RCD on the supply to a shaver socket containing an isolating transformer?

yes i could but would be hard work. Some of the bedrooms have been plastered so if i can work out a way of getting the cable there without chopping out walls i will.

Why anyway?

should the bathroom light be rcbo protected?

Cheers for the replies so far!

edit- that was a reply to rf's post, never realised we was on 2 page now!

Sponsored Links
can i put this rcbo in the lighting circuit (upstairs) and then bring a seperate 1.5 mm out the breaker/rcbo to the shaver point? So in other words there will be two wires going into the breaker and 2 neutrals going to the correct slot on the neutral bar?

im one for learning! can someone tell me what the rcd does over the normal breaker? I think the breaker stops a certain amount of current being pulled- for instance a 32 amp mcb will allow upto 32 amps being pulled but no sort of leakage protection?

A rcd will monitor a earth fault? so it electric was to go to earth it would turn off?

An RCD monitors the circuit for any imbalance between the L and N wires.
Normally the current flow in both will be the same, but if a fault occurs where current flows to earth (via damaged wiring/accessories or someone touching a live wire) it will cut off the power.

In the case of the isolating shaver socket it will do absolutely nothing at all, as the output from that is not referenced to earth.

o.k, im getting a little confused here.

Lets put it like this... i want to sell my property and upgrade to somewhere bigger, i may keep it and rent it!

To fit this shaver socket what do i need to do to pass the regs when i get the place inspected for rent/to sell?

There is a picture of my cu for all to see on page 1.

The easiest option is:
Connect new shaver socket to the lighting circuit.
Remove the MCB for the lighting circuit and put an RCBO in its place (as already suggested)
One of these is what you want: http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/WYNSBS6slash1.html

Adding a second RCD to the consumer unit would give you RCD protection for all of the circuits, however I would suggest NOT doing this yourself, as it will involve a lot more work and could easily be done wrongly.

Of course, this is all notifiable work, part P etc.

Plan B:

1) Install any new concealed cables in a way that means no RCD protection is needed. (metal conduit, BS 8436 cable etc)

2) Take on board the fact that a cable from the lighting circuit to a shaver socket is NOT a circuit in its own right, and so does NOT need RCD protection in its own right, and as you are NOT introducing a new circuit into the bathroom you are NOT obliged to to bring the existing circuit(s) up to the current standard.

Plan B:

1) Install any new concealed cables in a way that means no RCD protection is needed. (metal conduit, BS 8436 cable etc)

2) Take on board the fact that a cable from the lighting circuit to a shaver socket is NOT a circuit in its own right, and so does NOT need RCD protection in its own right, and as you are NOT introducing a new circuit into the bathroom you are NOT obliged to to bring the existing circuit(s) up to the current standard.

But you are obliged to make your additions comply with the regs, so while you do not need to RCD the existing stuff you need to RCD the addition (even if you wire it in a way that the cable does not need RCD protection)

I does seem a bit daft RCD'ing SELV lighting & extractors though!!

one last thing, can i just come out of thr rcbo/mcb so end up with two lots of wire in it?

Reason i ask is that i wont need to chop any walls and will only need to use 1.5 meter of cable. ( which i have some red and black to suit whats already in the cu)

There is also a wire already running through the cubard that is powering the jucuzzi but is backed by a 16 on the rcd side of the cu. Could i just chop into this or is 16 amp to big for a shaver socket to be on?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back