Shed Sound-proofing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My shed has a traditional 2x2 inch frame and is lined with thin plywood.
Is there a recommended material that I can place between the thin ply and the outer wood that will act as a good sound proofer.
I make quite a bit of noise in the shed now and again with hammers, saws, routers etc so this sound proofing is in consideration of my neighbours.

Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Very little that you can fit into a 50mm gap is going to make much difference!

It's more than likely that the noise you generate (assuming you're using a decent weight workbench) is transmitted through the fabric of the shed rather than being airborne.

Noise transmission is reduced only if you can de-couple the various components from each other - i.e. the ply lining not screwed directly to the studs in the walls, the bench isolated from the floor on rubber blocks etc etc

Difficult to achieve any meaningful noise reduction in a lightweight timber shed

I soundproofed my tin shed with hession weed matts (about 15mm thick each). I doubled them up to make a 30mm thickness and it dulled the noise by about 40%. So depending on what you're doing in their, and if your door is shut when you work, this might help reduce it a bit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back