shock from laptop while in the bath

Sponsored Links
We were until benard cut through the c p to get to the nub of it.

His explanation does though; demonstrate why mains equipment that is not designed to be used in a certain environment should not be ignored even if you know a bit about electrics

i get you now, but why would it make the case come live,,,it was only like a tingle but a shock none the less

true martin and for that reason i would never do it again, i just presumed it would be safe

Sponsored Links
Just think how many wires (cores) come from the PSU and wheather one of them is an earth wire to the case of you laptop

The 0 volt of the 19 volts ( most common lap top supply voltage ) is connected to the metal work of the lap top. When the mains bridges the gap and reaches one or both of the 19 volt wires the lap top metal work will be at mains ( or mains minus 19 volts ).

This could be funny but it is seriously dangerous.

The 0 volt of the 19 volts ( most common lap top supply voltage ) is connected to the metal work of the lap top. When the mains bridges the gap and reaches one or both of the 19 volt wires the lap top metal work will be at mains ( or mains minus 19 volts ).

This could be funny but it is seriously dangerous.

I meant its funny the OP says he understand electrickery and then uses a item attached to the supply sitting in a bath.

Some have tried suicide that way and generally succeeded.

Working on a wagon 24vdc in wet conditions I have had a shock from the battery. OK working on a gritter so covered with snow and salt but yes you can get a shock from extra low voltage.
At about 3 years old found my daughter licking a 9 volt battery she it seemed liked the tingle it gave her.
So even not connected to mains in any way you could get a tingle. The limit set for items in that environment is set at 12 volt most lap tops are over that voltage so would not even if fully sealed be allowed.

If the transformer was an isolating type
and was not in the bathroom then just like the shaver supply is should not normally give you a shock.

However most laptops use a switch mode power supply which turns AC to DC then back to AC at a high frequency then transforms down and then takes a sample of DC output to adjust the parameters on low voltage (230v) side to correct voltage. This links to low voltage and extra low voltage together but the amount of current is limited to a safe level when used in the environment it's designed for.

Since you don't seem to grasp the dangers involved wonder if I can have a mention in your will?

Most laptops switch charging on and off so don't recharge the batteries until they have dropped a set amount in charge. So there is likely quite a jump in power used when batteries are charging and when they are fully charged. This will in turn alter the parameters in the power supply which in turn could affect the voltage of the extra low voltage output to earth.

Also many have the 2.5A figure of 8 plugs in the power supply so line and neutral can be swapped. Again a reason why the voltage to earth can change. On top of that is the question of if the bath is correctly earthed in first place.

I was sure when I first read the post it was a wind up. But from your replies it does seem you have no idea of the dangers of power in a bathroom. Using the laptop from it's batteries is not recommended in the bath but connecting to mains one would assume you have some sort of death wish.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back