Should I paint the underside of windows?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have taken the windows off their hinges in order to repair them, etc., and I have stripped most of the 20 or so layers of paint off, so they can now open and shut !

Should I paint the underside of the bottom rail ?

I have heard that it should be left bare, to enable any moisture in the wood to escape.

Should it be treated with woodworm killer or presrvative ?

Sponsored Links
I was taught that only the sides of sash windows should never be painted. (Obviously they can't be accessed in situ, but if the sashes are removed for repair, etc.)
With casement windows, all edges can usually be seen from some angle when they are open and so should be painted, if only for aesthtetic reasons.

Remember that bare edges can absorb moisture, causing the wood to swell, as well as allowing it to escape. Personally, I always apply a first primer/undercoat and topcoat to new/restored casement windows for this reason but often just apply future coats without repainting the least exposed edges, to avoid paint build up and binding. (Providing they are still in good condition and the customer is happy).

You can use a good clear preservative on all bare surfaces before painting but allow it to dry completely before painting (usually a few days). Woodworm treatment isn't usually required for the majority of windows.

the tops and bottoms of doors and windows are often neglected as they are difficult to get to, but they're where water usually gets in so they most need protection.

you can use a microporous paint on external joinery as it allows moisture to escape.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back