should I put lining paper on newly skimmed plater?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive just have my plasterboard walls skimmed and I now want to will wall paper the room
what is the standard method

mist coat wall them wall paper

mist coat then lining paper then wall paper

cheers

jon

Sponsored Links
No.

It should be smooth and flat and not need lining paper. If it is just a skim it should dry very quickly.

Some people (incl me) prefer to emulsion the walls (one or two diluted mist coats with a brush, then undiluted with a roller) which will look decent until you get round to papering, and IMO gives good slip which makes it easier to paper, needing no sizing, and makes it easier to strip and clean in future. If it is just a skim you can use a vinyl emulsion. It will also highlight to the eye any defects, which you can fix if you desire perfection. The paint will also give the walls an even colour and texture, which will avoid shading showing through (this is more valuable on patchy old walls).

If you are in a hurry, or a pro and time is money, just paper it.

Last edited:
Thank you so much ...its so nice when some one gives a clear and simple answer

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back