Should I replace this consumer unit?

Sure, that's the only thing that can be photographed - but that photo won't help you with your guessing about whether the electrician is quoting for the installation of one or two CUs.

Post 18 is worth reading and yes the existing set up would be worth reviewing

Sponsored Links
That’s just nonsense. Not every spark operates like a Wild West bandit AND location matters a lot
Why do you think prices vary according to location within the UK, then?

Are electricians slower in some parts of the country, do they not get their materials from the same sort of places as others (quite possibly 'on-line'), or are they simply making more profit for the same job as their contemporaries in other parts of the country are making? ... or what?

Why do you think prices vary according to location within the UK, then?

Are electricians slower in some parts of the country, do they not get their materials from the same sort of places as others (quite possibly 'on-line'), or are they simply making more profit for the same job as their contemporaries in other parts of the country are making? ... or what?

People in Wales aren’t likely to pay Islington prices ,

Post 18 is worth reading ...
Hopefully we've all read it, since that is the post containing the quote for installing two CUs.
and yes the existing set up would be worth reviewing
Yes, it would be worth reviewing, since it would enable us to offer opinions as to whether or not two CUs are necessary (which I doubt) - but that doesn't alter the fact that the quotation clearly seems to relate to the installation of two new CUs.

Sponsored Links
People in Wales aren’t likely to pay Islington prices ,
I know that, but why not?

Are you saying that Islington electricians take longer to do a job than do Welsh ones would take to do the same job, or do they buy more expensive materials in Islington - or so the Islington ones simply make more profit? ... or what?

Hopefully we've all read it, since that is the post containing the quote for installing two CUs.

Yes, it would be worth reviewing, since it would enable us to offer opinions as to whether or not two CUs are necessary (which I doubt) - but that doesn't alter the fact that the quotation clearly seems to relate to the installation of two new CUs.

My educated guess is that there is a 24 x7 board and an E7

Or it could be a space issue meaning 2 are required

Hence why a photo of the current set up or seeing the schedules of test results are important

We need more details go give a more informed response

I know that, but why not?

Are you saying that Islington electricians take longer to do a job than do Welsh ones would take to do the same job, or do they buy more expensive materials in Islington - or so the Islington ones simply make more profit? ... or

Is your real name Richard head?

My educated guess is that there is a 24 x7 board and an E7

Hence why a photo of the current set up or seeing the schedules of test results are important

We need more details go give a more informed response
Can I recommend looking at post #1 for a little insight

So are people in Islington more gullible then the Welsh and getting ripped off?
I suppose you could put it that way - or, at least, say that people in Islington do not adequately think through the situation as regards the services of people like electricians.

People in Islington are used to, and accept, paying appreciably more for many things than they would have to pay if they were in Wales. In many cases, the increased cost is justifiable on the basis of the much higher overheads involved in providing the services (or even goods) in Islington - particularly if the provision of services/goods involves the acquisition or renting, and running costs (rates etc.) of, 'premises' - hence, understandably, much higher prices in pubs, restaurants, hotels, private hospitals etc., and even services provided by (premises-based) hair dressers, solicitors, architects etc. etc.

However, in the case of tradespeople like electricians, who don't need 'premises' and work entirely 'on-site', there would seem to be very few overheads which will be greater in Islington than in Wales - maybe a bit more travelling time and parking etc. costs (but even that probably offset by less mileage) and somewhat higher vehicle maintenance costs, but I can't think of much more - can you? Hence, if I'm right, then if they thought things through, I'm not sure that the people in Islington would see the justification of (hence be able to 'accept') paying an electrician a lot more for doing work in Islington as they would have to pay for the same work in Wales.

However, there is a more general issue (essentially a partial vicious circle) which might possibly be some of the reason for their acceptance of the higher cost of services in Islington .... since, as above, many things in Islington are (for justifiable reasons) more expensive than they would be in Wales, there is probably an expectation (and 'acceptance') of the fact that incomes need to be higher in Islington in order to achieve the same 'standard of living' - i.e. that every tradesman needs to 'make more profit' in Islington than he/she would have to make in Wales.

However, I suspect that isn't the main basis of the thinking of people in Islington and that your suggestion of 'gullible' is probably closer to the truth - i.e. because they know (and accept) that (for justifiable reasons) they have to pay more in Islington for their pint of beer in a pub, restaurant meal or consultation with a solicitor etc. etc., they also 'assume' (always dangerous :) ), without much thinking, that the same is justifiable for the services of an electrician etc.

Kind Regards, John

Had a quote from another company.

Upgrade fusebaord to 12-way RCD protected board with surge protection - £590 + VAT.

Had a quote from another company.

Upgrade fusebaord to 12-way RCD protected board with surge protection - £590 + VAT.
That's better, though I havent fitted an RCD board in years - you want individual RCD (RCBO) protection, and you might need 2 CU's... If you're making use of cheap off peak electricity to heat water or the flat? Leith...Edinburgh...expensive.

Can someone explain the reason for potentially requiring two consumer units to replace the existing one?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back