Should I replace this consumer unit?

Hello. Just after a bit of reassurance really.

We had an electrical inspection carried out on a rental property and the electrician says we need a new consumer unit as the current one is too old. He said cost would be between £500-£1000 and that it he would need to source a special unit as the flat has white meter heating.
Unit is probably about 35 years old so I suppose it is right enough that it needs to be replaced.???

Many thanks.

Craig
View attachment 314996
Does you rental agency agreement not insist on a single point of isolation?

Both of mine do.

Sponsored Links
Can someone explain the reason for potentially requiring two consumer units to replace the existing one?
Some electricians are not "REAL" electricians and incapable of using any common sense.

My rental property with E7 had a single CU which required replacement and I replaced it with a single CU and at the same time incorporated a single main switch as required by rental agency contract.

Does you rental agency agreement not insist on a single point of isolation?

Both of mine do.
Do you mean that rental agencies require certain electrical measures before they will list a property?
For the last 8 years, it was an Airbnb. Before that, it was long-term lets but we never used an agency.

Apparently, the original quote is to fit two Contactum units.

Sponsored Links
Do you mean that rental agencies require certain electrical measures before they will list a property?
For the last 8 years, it was an Airbnb. Before that, it was long-term lets but we never used an agency.
Yes, the records my agency hold give exact details of how to isolate the services: water, gas, electricity and insist on a single function for each.

My original E7 CU had 2 main switches (24hr & NSH). I was lucky that my service was a dual rate meter and separate contactor for NSH and very easy to make the changes.

Does you rental agency agreement not insist on a single point of isolation? Both of mine do.
Even if it didn't, BS7671 requires that - so an EICR might possibly give it's absence a C2.

However, it's obviously possible to have 'a single point of isolation' even when one has multiple CUs - which is the situation in my house.

Kind Regards, John

Can someone explain the reason for potentially requiring two consumer units to replace the existing one?
What the property has is effectively two CUs, because it has two 'halves' with separate supplies (One guesses one supply is time-switched,for a dual-tariff supply) and the electrician has simply quoted for replacing that with two separate ones - perhaps without much thought as to whether that is really necessary.

Kind Regards, John

What the property has is effectively two CUs, because it has two 'halves' with separate supplies (One guesses one supply is time-switched,for a dual-tariff supply) and the electrician has simply quoted for replacing that with two separate ones - perhaps without much thought as to whether that is really necessary.

Kind Regards, John

Or because he believes its a better solution to have 2 separate units with 2 points of isolation ............... and as he will have looked inside the current unit they are best placed to recommend

Really its down to the spark and customer to decide - not some randoms who think they know better on the internet.

I still think that the best solution is a RCBO board - especially in a rental property

I know that, but why not?

Are you saying that Islington electricians take longer to do a job than do Welsh ones would take to do the same job, or do they buy more expensive materials in Islington - or so the Islington ones simply make more profit? ... or what?

God you're hard work .

If you think pricing is the same per hour across the whole UK you must live in a strange world, it varies across the same postcodes and as for my example - that is precisely what it is. 2 randomly picked places where the demographics and incomes are quite different.

Why do you think prices vary according to location within the UK, then?

Are electricians slower in some parts of the country, do they not get their materials from the same sort of places as others (quite possibly 'on-line'), or are they simply making more profit for the same job as their contemporaries in other parts of the country are making? ... or what?

Material cost do vary a little from place to place, but the cost of labour is the major variation around the country. Have you not hear of London weighting?

We don't know yet, but the most likely reason is probably that there currently are two CUs, and the electrician has simply quoted for replacing both - perhaps without much thought as to whether two are actually needed.

Kind Regards, John
Nah, there is just one at the moment.

Or because he believes its a better solution to have 2 separate units with 2 points of isolation ...............
Yes, maybe, - and that would be compliant with BS 7671 (and requirements of rental agents/'agreements') if there were also a 'single point of isolation' which isolated both CUs.
... Really its down to the spark and customer to decide - not some randoms who think they know better on the internet.
It's not me who has questioned the proposal to install two CUs (although it clearly may not actually be necessary). As you say, it's down to the electrician and customer to decide what is the best approach - and what we are doing (or trying to do) here is advise the OP about that, since it would be silly to rely on the view of a 'random electrician'.
I still think that the best solution is a RCBO board - especially in a rental property
I don't think anyone has disagreed with that. I, for one, have suggested that serious consideration should be given to that (despite the electrician's 'intentions').

Why is the fact that it is a rental flat relevant in the decision about the type of breakers?

God you're hard work .
That seems to make two of us ;)
If you think pricing is the same per hour across the whole UK you must live in a strange world,
No-one is denying that such is the case - but what I keep asking is "Why?", and to what extent the answer to that is really 'justifiable.
it varies across the same postcodes and as for my example - that is precisely what it is. 2 randomly picked places where the demographics and incomes are quite different.
Millions of people are employed by 'nationwide' employers - 'civil servants', NHS employees, emergency service workers, 'postmen', train drivers etc. etc etc. and, in general, pay is negotiated and agreed on a 'nationwide' basis, regardless of where the workers provide their services and/or live. Indeed, I think that unions generally oppose the idea that some of their members should be paid less for doing the same job than others.

In the relatively small number of cases in which there is 'London Weighting' (as mentioned by Harry), it is usually fairly trivial to the point of almost being a joke (well, it was when I received it).

So, I suppose that could lead to a slightly different question - why should it be different for the 'employed' and the 'self-employed'?

Material cost do vary a little from place to place,
In relation to some trades (e.g. building) that may be the case, but I wasn't aware that the major electrical wholesalers varied their prices around the country. In any event, any electrician is free to order on-line from them, at a price which doesn't vary according to whete the products are being delivered.
but the cost of labour is the major variation around the country.
Indeed - and that's what I've been discussing.
Have you not hear of London weighting?
Not only heard of it, but have received it in the past. However, I don't think that it's all that common and, as I said, at least in the past was such a pittance as to be almost a joke/insult (particularly in relation to the price of property/rents in London, as compared with elsewhere).

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back