Should news presenters appear on TV wearing the hijab?

As above

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.
I cannot see a problem with it, it can look attractive despite what Kelvin MacKenzie says

There are many Female Newscasters/ TV Journalists that could do with their Hair Style covered up !!

maji.jpg

It is a symbol of the oppression of women.

She is living in a free country and can choose whether to wear it, but there are countries that have religious police roaming the streets looking for women that they class as not being appropriately dressed.

These women are then given 50 lashes in public.

This cannot be right, but there are even more extreme punishments handed out to women than this.

God help us if this country ends up like that!

Sponsored Links

She is living in a free country and can choose whether to wear it, but there are countries that have religious police roaming the streets looking for women that they class as not being appropriately dressed.

This cannot be right, but there are even more extreme punishments handed out to women than this.

I am sure that if she were being oppressed, she would not be a reporter on television.

I am sure that if she were being oppressed, she would not be a reporter on television.

Exactly my point, but by wearing it in a free country she is not helping the oppressed women in other countries.

This is one of the reasons why I believe Kelvin was right to say something and why it is wrong that he is being pilloried for doing so.

Sponsored Links
...but it's just a head scarf.

Would a bloke in a turban get the same coverage?

Did Hardeep Singh Kohli get the same coverage?

Jean Alexander wore a headscarf in Coronation Street for donkey’s years.

That was not a problem because it was not symbolic of the subjugation of women.

Kelvin should be allowed to air his views on the matter without fear of recrimination.

Your turban question is answered here

http://www.jongaunt.co.uk/

in Pod 1 – The Rant: Kelvin McKenzie & his hijab column.

He also makes the excellent point that Channel 4 News would not have sent her to Nice dressed like that.

I listened to your link and am now confused.

That was not a problem because it was not symbolic of the subjugation of women.
Is it you who thinks it is a symbol of subjugation?

Kelvin should be allowed to air his views on the matter without fear of recrimination.
Did he just say she shouldn't have worn it in Nice or generally on television?

Your turban question is answered here
Well, not really; more dismissed because it is not muslim. Gaunt said the turban was an obligation and the hijab is not and even that there is nothing in the koran to say it is.
So, how is it a symbol of subjugation.

http://www.jongaunt.co.uk/
in Pod 1 – The Rant: Kelvin McKenzie & his hijab column.

He also makes the excellent point that Channel 4 News would not have sent her to Nice dressed like that.
Do you mean "would not" or "should not"?

If you meant "would not" then what are you implying? She wore it on purpose?
If you meant "should not" then why not; she is a reporter?

Are you afraid the unthinking masses will be upset?
As Gaunt said, some of the dead were muslim.
Did they not send catholic or protestant reporters to Ireland?
Do they not send English reporters to scenes of madness by English people?

Is everyone looking for things to complain about which aren't really there?

I did agree with Gaunt about the Establishment and Media in Britain pussy-footing around.
However, that returns me to a question I have been asking for a long time. Something strange is happening; what is it?

I cannot see a problem with it, it can look attractive despite what Kelvin MacKenzie says

There are many Female Newscasters/ TV Journalists that could do with their Hair Style covered up !!

maji.jpg

You are absolutely right, she is living in a free Country and can chose to wear it or not ,

SHE HAS CHOSEN TO WEAR IT !!!!

What gives you the right to dictate what a person should wear or not,

I do remember listening to talk-radio years ago when the guest was a psychiatrist.
One caller asked him to recommend ways of avoiding stress. The first reply was "Stop listening to talk-radio for a start"

Have you ever thought that the conspiracy may actually be talk-radio itself? The intention being to stir up trouble.

Given the current climate I would question the motive behind wanting to wear one to present the news given what it symbolises to a lot of people.

I don't have any prejudice myself but I see the prejudice it stokes in others, and the fact they make news about things like this makes me think whether there is an undercurrent of sh1t stirrers who simply cannot leave the subject alone. As if they know the misery and problems that come from forcing these types of issues but do it anyway to cause more and more racial tension. These are the people that should be reported on IMO.

I do remember listening to talk-radio years ago when the guest was a psychiatrist.
One caller asked him to recommend ways of avoiding stress. The first reply was "Stop listening to talk-radio for a start"

Have you ever thought that the conspiracy may actually be talk-radio itself? The intention being to stir up trouble.

I would have to agree. That constant feedback loop is like fitting an amplifier to a set of headphones.

and the fact they make news about things like this makes me think whether there is an undercurrent of sh1t stirrers who simply cannot leave the subject alone..
Agree, and it's such a shame there's so many people out there ready to listen and give these people power.

Have we ever had free speech in this country, if so, when did it end?
I am totally for free speech, but with it also comes responsibility. If someone is provocative with their free speech, then anyone else is entitled to voice their concerns as the same rule applies to them. If it happens that people slam down a point of view, it doesn't take away freedom of speech, it just means that a people disagree.

Last edited by a moderator:

maji.jpg

You are absolutely right, she is living in a free Country and can chose to wear it or not ,

SHE HAS CHOSEN TO WEAR IT !!!!

What gives you the right to dictate what a person should wear or not,

I have no right to dictate what she wears; after all, I’m not her husband.

However, I would like to feel that Kelvin and I have the right to comment about it.

Kissing and other forms of public affection are illegal in some countries, (don't get me started on gay. juvenile and inter-racial forms of affection) and can lead to ridiculous forms of punishment. Do we or should we insist on our laws being honoured in other countries?
This is UK and other countries are not subject to UK law, even Scotland and NI in some cases.

Sponsored Links
Back