Should UK have sued EU?

Sponsored Links
Post the relevant contract/treaty/statute - or move on.
Well if you care to refute the OBR report then feel free to do so...

If not, then you know what to do ;)

But hey if you're willing to live with the consequences, then what can I say to convince a rabid brexiteer that he's wrong?

Nothing of course - because apparently he's got his (much poorer) country back :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
Post the relevant contract/treaty/statute - or move on.
This issue has been done to death several times.
It is the same for Brexiteers, you have to go over, and over, and over the same argument again, and again, before they understand. Although I doubt if they ever will, not really.

Sponsored Links
I wonder if the EU has , or will have a case to sue us.

If it is proved voteleave broke the rules then surely the result of the referendum is potentially null and void due to such lawbreaking.

How much time and effort and other losses have they incurred unnecessarily if so?

I was about to refer you to the mechanisms in the electoral commission for petitioning (the process of challenging) an election, but this was a non-binding referendum. I think (and I'm happy to be challenged) that the results of the referendum are now irrelevant, because the conservatives fought and won (however badly) a general election promising to deliver Brexit. So while criminals may be fined for cheating, the question of the Brexit referendum being open to challenge has been superseded by a general election.

To consider it another way.. David Camaron could have said - I'm ignoring the referendum, you are all stupid quitters, I'm calling a general election and my manifesto is to stay in the EU: a vote for us is a vote to ignore the referendum etc.. Had he won, then nobody could challenge his mandate. The same goes for Cable or Corbyn.

At the end of the day TM can do as she likes as long as she can get support in the commons to get it through.

So long answer is the EU cannot successfully sue us even if we voted remain and the govt of the day served Article 50 with sufficient member support. I might be wrong if there is an EU constitutional requirement for a referendum (as with some members) but I don't think we have one.

I was about to refer you to the mechanisms in the electoral commission for petitioning (the process of challenging) an election, but this was a non-binding referendum. I think (and I'm happy to be challenged) that the results of the referendum are now irrelevant, because the conservatives fought and won (however badly) a general election promising to deliver Brexit. So while criminals may be fined for cheating, the question of the Brexit referendum being open to challenge has been superseded by a general election.

To consider it another way.. David Camaron could have said - I'm ignoring the referendum, you are all stupid quitters, I'm calling a general election and my manifesto is to stay in the EU: a vote for us is a vote to ignore the referendum etc.. Had he won, then nobody could challenge his mandate. The same goes for Cable or Corbyn.

At the end of the day TM can do as she likes as long as she can get support in the commons to get it through.

So long answer is the EU cannot successfully sue us even if we voted remain and the govt of the day served Article 50 with sufficient member support. I might be wrong if there is an EU constitutional requirement for a referendum (as with some members) but I don't think we have one.

I an not so sure it is that clear cut, like most legal issues.

Time will tell

Thats why they g̶e̶t̶ ̶p̶a̶i̶d̶ used to get paid the big bucks.

the lawyers that is.

Well the EU have form for ignoring the results of referendums, hurrah for democracy :mrgreen:
The EU did not and do not have responsibility for calling for referendums in the nation state members.
The constitution(s) of those nation states determine whether they have referendums, and on what issues.

But as you are becoming well known for misrepresentation, please continue......

except in the minds of rabid anti-Europeans, who rely on lies to reassure themselves.

the conservatives fought and won (however badly) a general election promising to deliver Brexit.

Although another interpretation might be that Theresa said "I have a majority, but I need a bigger one. Give me a bigger majority and I will deliver my fantasy Brexit"

And the voters said "No."

No but they dont accept the governments that do:

what nonsense.

Do they expel them? Fine them? Prevent them attending the Council?

No.

Anti-EU propagandist Notch spouting rubbish again.

Sponsored Links
Back