Shower help!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The isolation switch for my shower has broken. I can't turn it off and the light will not stay on.

Can I just replace my existing unit with a 45amp double-pole switch? Is 45amp enough as they don't go any higher.

I have a 50amp MCB in my fuse box, would this be ok with a 45amp Duoble pole Switch?

Also does it matter what your fuse box can take in the case of amps when using the switch?

Please help!

:cry:

Sponsored Links
The MCB is 50amp.

I am pretty sure the shower is 9.5kw.

If I use my 50amp MCB and a 45/50amp switch is this ok, or will it be too much for my fuse box?

Also, my switch is on a wall not a ceiling.

Sponsored Links
heatherw_01 said:
The MCB is 50amp.

I am pretty sure the shower is 9.5kw.
9.5kW = 41.3A, so as long as your cable is 10mm, all is well.

If I use my 50amp MCB and a 45/50amp switch is this ok, or will it be too much for my fuse box?
As I said - the rating of the switch is utterly irrelevant - why do you keep asking about that in relation to your consumer unit?

As for whether a 50A load is ok for the CU, it depends - what make is it, and what rating is the main incomer?

Also, my switch is on a wall not a ceiling.
Sorry - just assumed it would be a pullcord switch in the bathroom - they usually are....

i wouldn't put a 45A switch on a 50A breaker

it just smaks of bad practice particulallry if someone decieds to upgrade the shower sees the 50A breaker and assumes all is well

just go to an electrical wholesalers and ask for a 50A double pole wall mount isolator they will be able to supply it.

Not arguing with that - it's the "will it be too much for my fuse box?" that I don't get....

Ban/ M

I think you DO suffer from stress.. or is it the time of Month?? :LOL:

You seem a little ratty & short tempered of late.

Maybe she is worried about the fact that her CU main switch may not be rated at 100A and may be prone to breakdown under high current draws...

If the main switch is less than 100A, it is not recommended to fit any circuits higher than 32A.

Yes, but this is an existing installation, with a 50A MCB already in the CU and already supplying a shower.

The isolation switch for the shower is broken, and Heather seeks a replacement.

And she asked "Also does it matter what your fuse box can take in the case of amps when using the switch?" which is an odd Q.

Ah well.

Which is why I think she may be worried about excess current - if she has for eg a 4-way cu with 60A switch - my surmise still stands.

Over to you, Heather....

But surely the time to worry about that would have been when it was first put in, not when replacing a switch?

The darkened room beckons....

I am agreeing with you. Just trying to make sense of what posters write.....

That's your wife. Her mask has slipped. Go back to sleep - we will reprogram you and when you awake you will remember none of this.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back