Shower Isolator tips.

K

kai

Using a din-rail mounting isolation switch (the sort you can find in CU's) seems a better option for a shower isolation device (if there is an airing cupboard adjacent the bathroom) - It's easier to just open the front of the enclosure to tighten up the terminals yearly, than messing around with a traditional shower switch - there is no need to continually flex the cables every year, with the risk of breakage of the cores, as would happen with a traditional shower switch. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Now if someone will invent a White coloured din-rail box, that will be great - as it will mark the end of the traditional shower switch, with all the pushing and twisting to get the cores into the back box enclosure.... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Not to mention that a traditional DIN rail mounted isolator isn't really intended for regular use in a functional switching capacity.

Sponsored Links
Not to mention that a traditional DIN rail mounted isolator isn't really intended for regular use in a functional switching capacity.
It wouldnt be switching under load though . . .

True, true, although I'd assume that a proper DP shower isolator is designed for many more mechanical operations than the rarely used DP isolator as found in a consumer unit.

Could use a contactor with the coil switched by a 5 amp pull switch wired in 1mm (or 1.5 mm ) with suitable fusing down from the shower supply (or fed from the lighting circuit.)

Shower power circuit of course wired in 10 mm.

Table 53.2 would say otherwise - BS EN 60947-3, suitable for isolation (if marked with relevant symbol), emergency switching and functional switching.

It doesn't differentiate between functional switching twice per day or twice per year. Maybe it would be a case of call the manufacturer and ask?

The Isolator does have AC22A marked on it, the (A) meaning frequent switching of the loads, an old fashioned isolator is often cord operated, and frequently snaps after a couple of years use, as they need a hard tug in order to operate their heavy duty mechanisms. :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

BS EN 60947-3 has AC-22A meaning "Switching of mixed resistive and inductive loads, including moderate overloads".

For a rated operational current of less than 100A, it's rated for 120 operating cycles per hour.
8500 cycles without current (total), 1500 cycles with current (total) and a total of 10000 cycles.

And it'd still be ugly as hell.
Well - this is twice as big as it needs to be, but lid down I think you're some way off with your "ugly as hell"....

HGVC201.JPG

:LOL:

Re the frequency of use of the isolator, some interesting (?) questions arise.

Why do people feel that there is a need to use the isolator on a regular or habitual basis? What other appliances do they isolate in the same way? I can't comment as my isolator also switches the fan, so it does get used 2-3 times a day. But I never flick the switch on the sockets where the following are plugged in or connected via an FCU:

TV
DVD recorder
Washing machine
Tumble drier
Dishwasher
Kettle
Spurred sockets in the office
Stereo
Cooker

Am I extraordinarily unusual?

Where does the desire to work the shower isolator all the time come from?

were you bought up in a house with a shower pullcord or was yours in the airing cupboard?

ours was in the cupboard so we never used it...

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back