Shower keeps tripping the fusebox

Sponsored Links
_20190225_184400.JPG
_20190225_184331.JPG

The top pic is the consumer unit and the bottom is a close up of the one that trips - number 4

OK - that's an MCB, not an RCD, so it will be tripping on overload.

An 8.5kW shower will not overload a 40A breaker, so there must be a fault somewhere - possibly the cable near the isolator. As the RCD isn't tripping it's a L-N fault. If it's overheating, and has a bend near the connections then the conductors could slowly migrate through the insulation and touch. I'd expect that to leave a pretty permanent fault situation though.

Hopefully others here can help via having seen that sort of problem before?

Sponsored Links
The circuit breaker wasn't removed but he did test the connections with some fancy looking meter reader thing. I know it wasn't a simple multi meter.

The humming stopped once a new iso was installed. Now its tripping again, the box is humming again.

The circuit breaker and consumer unit are indeed old but why would everything be "okay" for two weeks with a new iso and now it's as bad as it was.
There's a circular "junction" box in the loft I noticed, no idea what runs to or from it. Could that be the issue,? Or am i grasping at straws here. Who'd have thought a shower would be such a pain. It worked fine for 8 years......

Not odd at all if, as you say, it had been getting hot.

As a competent electrician knows, heat damages the copper cable, so just swapping the switch often is followed by a recurrence.

I believe you said the "earth wires" have been left unsleeved. This is not a sign of a competent electrician.

OK - that's an MCB, not an RCD, so it will be tripping on overload.
Eh? I'm confused. Since when would an MCB be labelled "Earth Leakage Circuit Breaker" and "IΔn=0.03A", and have a test button?
However, as said, it looks well past its sell-by date (even if it was OK in the first place!).

You think I should get a whole new consumer unit?
Looking at other people's mine does look archaic.
Would that be a costly job?

Definitely.
That pile of junk is a Federal Stab-Lok. A notorious and entirely useless design from the start.

Although the majority of dangerous failures on such things were in the USA, the UK ones were pretty much the same design. Fortunately they were not popular here, so very few were installed and even fewer still exist.

Depends on what you consider costly, although it's much cheaper than having the existing one burst into flames, electrocute people or similar.

The humming stopped once a new iso was installed. Now its tripping again, the box is humming again.
Isolator is unrelated, the noise may have stopped just because the circuit breaker was moved slightly when it was inspected previously.
In any case, circuit breakers should not make humming noises or any other noises in normal use.

Looking at other people's mine does look archaic.

No as I said earlier replacing things that you don't know are faulty is a waste of money and time.
You acknowledged that you felt an idiot for doing just that.

So find out where the fault is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back