Shower keeps tripping the fusebox

Only today I encountered a board similar to Federal, though not Federal, which had the problems as described by Flameport.

But the exact fault does need pinpointing before anything else is replaced, as pointed out by someone here.

You won't be happy having changed the consumer unit to still have the same fault.

It could be a damaged cable for all we know.

Sponsored Links
I have a feeling it is going to be a cable issue in the loft. When we had the central heating installed and the water tank removed im wondering if cable was damaged as everything was ok before then. Gonna get cabling in loft checked first as that's the only thing i know that hasn't been physically looked at

... you could have had a mixer shower fed by the combi installed. ;)

Do you know, after all this fannying about I wish I'd gone for that option when we had the combi boiler in as its right next to the bathroom so piping would be easy

My only worry was pressure coming out the shower.

Sponsored Links
My only worry was pressure coming out the shower.
Pressure is the same - both the electric shower and combi are connected to the same cold water supply.
Flow is another matter, and depends on the heating power of the device - more power = more flow.
Your electric shower is 8.5kW. A combi boiler will be at least 24kW, and often more.

Think I'm gonna get the wiring looked at then probably end up with mixer from the combi because its becoming a right pain. Can't imagine installation costing too much.

Think I'm gonna get the wiring looked at then probably end up with mixer from the combi because its becoming a right pain. Can't imagine installation costing too much.

It will be more than the cost of finding the fault.

Maybe, but until the fault is found you will not know if that is true.
Eventually the cost of running the shower off the combi will outweigh the cost of not running it off the combi.
In my experience a shower from a combi has more pressure than an electric one anyway. I find electric ones to be more a gentle drizzle than a good pulsating shower blast.

In my experience a shower from a combi has more pressure than an electric one anyway. I find electric ones to be more a gentle drizzle than a good pulsating shower blast.
We've discussed this a number of times before. Whilst people talk of the "pressure" of the spray from a shower, what they usually actually perceive/experience seems to be primarily the velocity of the water that hits them, and that can be increased (for a given actual outlet pressure) by making the holes in the shower head smaller (just put you finger over the end of a hosepipe out of which water is flowing to illustrate!).

Kind Regards, John

When I lived in Liverpool a number of years ago I had an electric shower. I asked the gas fitter if it was better to have one off the combi when he finished installing it.
The answer was yes and he showed me the difference in pressure. I can't remember the figures but he timed a flow rate from the shower outlet, (after taking the rose off), and then another rate from the bath tap, (which the electric shower was plumbed from). The bath tap was more than 2/3 quicker to fill the same jug.
Before you say a bath supply is bigger, (usually 22mm), there was a reducer from the 22mm down to 15mm which fed the bath tap and also from the 15mm the shower supply was tee'd off this, so both outlets being served by the same diameter supply.

When I lived in Liverpool a number of years ago I had an electric shower. I asked the gas fitter if it was better to have one off the combi when he finished installing it. .... The answer was yes and he showed me the difference in pressure. I can't remember the figures but he timed a flow rate from the shower outlet, (after taking the rose off), and then another rate from the bath tap, (which the electric shower was plumbed from). The bath tap was more than 2/3 quicker to fill the same jug.
Yes, but, as you say, what you are talking about (and measuring) there is flow rate, not outlet pressure or velocity.

As flameport said, flow rate with an electric shower is almost inevitably going to be quite a bit lower with an electric shower, because the heating power (kW) of an electric shower is so much less than that of a combi. However, as I said in my last post, that doesn't mean that you can't achieve the same velocity (speed at which water hits your skin) with both, by appropriate design and adjustment of the shower head.

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back