shower not earthed

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
help required my dad fitted an electric shower recently but forgot to connect the earth wire on installation
I had a look and the earth wire had been cut back he couldn't see it
could this damage the shower?

Sponsored Links
Yes, or you and yours.

Connect another piece of same sized (or bigger) wire to the shortened earth wire and connect it to the earth terminal.

Have it checked by someone who knows what he's doing.

Oh, and don't let your dad do any more electrics.

What was the extent of the work - new installation?

it was a replacement existing wiring already there but old shower couldn't of been earthed because earth wire was cut back
when he turned it on for the first time nothing happened
but would the lack of an earth connection cause this or is it a shower fault

Last edited:
That would be caused because you didn't follow the commissioning instructions. Running and filling the heater can without the element being on! You have turned the element on with a dry can.

It MUST be earthed. This is highly dangerous.

Sponsored Links
The earth is there as a protective measure, if there is an electrical fault it is possible that the shower can become damaged. It is VERY IMPORTANT that the shower is taken out of service (very possibly now a replacement is required )and an earth is present giving a continuous path to earth at the supply side.
It does not sound your dad is skilled enough to be undertaking this type of installation and a competent/skilled person (electrically) must be employed.

Is there other types of protection within this location, such as RCD and/or supplementary bonding? Your dad must read manufacturer's instruction and if in any doubt STOP, as he has introduced a dangerous situations!

You cannot safely, replace or install electrical appliances and circuits without testing the circuit, this has evidentially been overlooked!

Last edited:
Well, if, as you say, no damage can occur without an earth it would seem to be unnecessary.

&

Don't act like an idiot.

BAS; the damage he is talking about includes damage not only to the appliance but also more importantly to people, such as people sustaining electrocution and death due to a fault, which of course normally with an effective earth will cause the MCB to trip due to an overload/short; and the RCD to trip due to the current imbalance between L & N.

I would agree with doing all possible to insure the poster gets the shower correctly installed and personally I would have not commented on the white lie told about lack of earth damaging shower. It would seem not pre-filling shower is likely the reason for any damage rather than a lack of earth. However the damage caused by not pre-filling could cause a lethal fault with the shower. At this stage it needs some one with both the knowledge and equipment to correct the faults. Getting it to work does not mean it's safe.

But since BAS has raised it I must this time agree with him lack of earth wire would not in its self cause the shower to fail.

It will mean there is an unacceptable risk of electrocution but it would still work.

BAS; the damage he is talking about includes damage not only to the appliance but also more importantly to people, such as people sustaining electrocution and death
How can that possibly be when the question was "could this damage the shower?"?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back