shower not earthed

Well, if, as you say, no damage can occur without an earth it would seem to be unnecessary.
An earth fault won't cause damage to the shower. An earth fault WILL cause harm to a user if a fault arises. Why do Internet forums have silly arguments like this?!

Sponsored Links
Why do Internet forums have silly arguments like this?!
Why did EFLI make the silly suggestion that if the lack of an earth won't damage the shower then there is no need for it to be earthed?

Well, if, as you say, no damage can occur without an earth it would seem to be unnecessary.
An earth fault won't cause damage to the shower.
Well, it depends how far you want to go.
So, you are saying the CPC is therefore unnecessary as far as the shower is concerned?

On the other hand, if the earth can, in some way, protect the shower then without it the shower may be damaged by what would be an earth fault if there were a CPC.

An earth fault WILL cause harm to a user if a fault arises.
Being pedantic, shower casings are all plastic so if supplied by a plastic water pipe then it could be difficult for the user to be harmed.

Why do Internet forums have silly arguments like this?!
Strange question given the circumstances.

Unfortunately, BAS can change from being a really helpful chap to a dictatorial jobsworth in the blink of an eye. As the situation takes him he can either interpret literally what is being asked or done, or just quote regulations without comprehending that what is wanted is assistance! On rare occasions he can actually provide a helpful, detailed reply. He does, however, make it abundantly clear that "if you don't understand what the blazes you are doing, don't touch it!"

Sponsored Links
I do have to say that I am finding it hard to think of a situation that the shower it's self would get permanently damaged due to a lack of an earth.

On the other hand, if the earth can, in some way, protect the shower then without it the shower may be damaged

But is the earth really protecting the shower it's self at all?

Unfortunately, BAS can change from being a really helpful chap to a dictatorial jobsworth in the blink of an eye. As the situation takes him he can either interpret literally what is being asked or done, or just quote regulations without comprehending that what is wanted is assistance! On rare occasions he can actually provide a helpful, detailed reply. He does, however, make it abundantly clear that "if you don't understand what the blazes you are doing, don't touch it!"
I take it then that you are with EFLI on this one - operating an instant electric shower without an earth connection will damage it.

Please explain how - I really do want to know.

Everyone seems to think not.
It does seem hard to think of any way in which the absence of an earth could result in any damage to the shower itself.
What is its purpose then?
I suspect very little, or none (but see below). I would imagine that a shower probably satisfies the requirements for being Class II (although I don't think they are labelled as such). If that's the case, if it were any other Class II item, one would probably be 'forbidden' from connecting an earth to it, and nothing would be gained by connecting any internal (inaccessible) conductive parts to earth.

About the only possible 'purpose' I can think of would be if people are concerned about the possibility of electricity being conducted through the water emanating from the shower in the event of a fault been L and metal parts (e.g. heating 'coil') which are in contact with the water, but that might be stretching things a bit.

Kind Regards, John

What is its purpose then?
Earthing is to operate the protective device and limits the duration of a fault.
Yes, but in this context, a 'fault' between what and what? If it is between L and a (in the absence of earthing) 'floating' inaccessible conductive part within a (probably) reinforced insulation enclosure, then I'm not sure of the relevance of limiting the duration of this 'fault' (which, in the absence of earthing, would result in no 'fault current')
Earthing operates the CPD to limit touch voltage duration.
What is the meaning of 'touch voltage' when there are no exposed conductive parts?

Kind Regards, John

Ok. I did say yes to the OP and chastise his father for not connecting the CPC.
I was also mocked for saying if that is so then a CPC would be unnecessary.
Can you have it both ways?

Since then, as I appear to have been wrong with that 'yes', I have been trying to get someone to answer why, if it will not lead to anything damaging the shower, a CPC is required.

There are no exposed-c-ps on a shower - with plastic pipes.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back