Shower plump

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to fit a shower pump on my system.

All the cold water taps in the house are are fed by the mains. I have been advised to put a cold feed from the storage tank to the pump and then to the shower.

However, I am not sure what to do with the hot feed. Do I have to make a seperate feed towards the shower or can I just connect it to the hot water pipe that runs through the whole house?

Any advise is appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Teeing into the hot supply to the rest of the house risks the pump drawing air down the open vent, possibly damaging the pump and causing airlocks, so pump manufacturers usually advise fitting a Surrey or Essex flange to your hot water cylinder to give an independant hot feed to the pump.
86467.jpg

Surrey
41238.jpg

Essex
The Surrey replaces the existing outlet screwed into the top of the cylinder, the Essex is fitted to a new hole cut in the cylinder.

Thanks TicklyT.

I've read about this flange before but was hoping to get around it on my system. As I have a 3 bar pump can't I pump hot water to the whole house, have a cold supply from the storage tank going to the pump (and Shower) and the rest of the house on the cold mains.

Maybe I am complicating matters but I am thinking that in the future I probably would have a condensing boiler when the old one packs in. If I then want to put the hot feed to the shower on the system again, I would have to open the floors again, which I rather don't.

Thanks for your time.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back