Shower Pressure - Combi Boiler...

Gents,

Further update. Went and picked up a 2 litre bottle. Screwed the shower head off and timed how long it would take to fill the bottle. Took 36 secs on a medium temperature. Turned the temperature down to cold and tried it again, this time it took 22 secs to fill the 2 litre bottle.

Does this help?

Sponsored Links
Can you time filling the bottle from the cold tap on the bath or the bathroom sink with no other water being used at the same time.

Any ideas on the KW rating of the shower ?

wanleg said:
Can you time filling the bottle from the cold tap on the bath or the bathroom sink with no other water being used at the same time.

Any ideas on the KW rating of the shower ?

Just run the test on the cold water tap in the bathroom sink. Took 22.4 secs to fill the 2 litre bottle. As for the shower KW rating unfortunately I don't know. Had a good look at it but it doesn't say very much on it. Don't think its the most modern to be honest however it does say 'Mira Sport 02FX 4894' on the bottom.

You usually need a minimum flow of at least 10 litres/minute to run an electric shower. To check the flow get a n empty pop bottle (2 litre) and see how long it takes to fill it. Should take 12 seconds at 10LPM.

Your getting a little less than 6 litres per minute....can you try the same timings on a kitchen tap please.

Also can you check that your stop cock is fully open.

Sponsored Links
wanleg said:
You usually need a minimum flow of at least 10 litres/minute to run an electric shower. To check the flow get a n empty pop bottle (2 litre) and see how long it takes to fill it. Should take 12 seconds at 10LPM.

Your getting a little less than 6 litres per minute....can you try the same timings on a kitchen tap please.

Also can you check that your stop cock is fully open.

Stop cock is fully open.

Tried the test on the cold water tap in the kitchen and the 2 litre bottle filled in 15 seconds. Is this making more sense or ring any bells?? Is there any way to get the shower to 10 litres per minute?

Thanks again for your time!!

Then at your kitchen tap your getting 8 litres per minute....as a comparison i'm getting 14 lpm at mine....my kitchen tap fills a 2 litre jug in 8.5 seconds as oppose to your 15.

In my bathroom (upstairs) i'm getting 2 litres in about 9 seconds which is 13.3 lpm..as oppose to your 22 seconds.

I think your mains cold water supply is not good enough....call you local water authority and see if they can test it for you.

Try turning your water off completely at the stop cock then open again in case the valve is only opening partially.

Try the same test at your neighbours house (beats a cup of sugar) to see if there is any difference.

Also do you have any kind of water condtioning device fitted to the mains cold e.g. Combi mate, which could be restricting the flow ?

Kaydee, it sounds like you have what water companies may classify as poor supply. There are many things that may cause this...
- Lead supply pipe (poor flow)
- Water network problems (water company problem)
- Leak (on your supply pipe, or on main feeding area.
- Partially closed Stopcock in street.
- Shared Supply with neighbours.
- Blockage

Call your local water company and ask them to investigate, investigation and advice will be free. It will also be more accurate than internet advice, as the "inspector" will be able to look at things properly.

Your supply should be a minimum of 9 litres/min at a working pressure of 1 bar (10 metres head). Although this level of supply is for the boundary, the water company should take the reading from your kitchen tap.

Good luck!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back