Shower problems

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi everyone

I am having a problem with my shower, or lack of it as the case may be. I recently did out my bathroom and installed a shower tap mixer, but the pressure is no where near enough to run it. My cold water pressure is solid, but hot water merely trickles from the tap, or shower head. I have been told a pump or electric shower are my only options, but have read on here that a venturi may help. But i thought i would post and get a little feedback first, before i go spending.....again.

Sponsored Links
i read on here some where that some taps have a pressure reducer.

to be fair it wasnt brilliant before the new taps :( but it is now worse. and they werent cheap, so i would rather work around them than replace them. The shower that is on them is nice, but only works with the shower head down at tap hieght, so not much of a shower, more a spray in the bath :p

Sponsored Links
You could fit a pump on the hot supply to boost this, perhaps combined with a pressure reducing valve on the mains cold to make the pressures more or less equal.

However it isn't just a question of sticking the pump in the existing hot water line - you will probably need to make a new connection to the cylinder (Essex or Warix flange) to avoid drawing air into the pump, and the supply to the pump should be separate to the supply to the other hot taps.

In total this is not a cheap option (£100 for the pump to start with, plus plumbing alterations), so it might be sensible to consider the alternative of a Venturi shower (£200 +) which could use the existing supplies.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back