Shower pumpn starts then stops.....HELP...

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have now plumbed shower as follows:cold supply is T'ed off supply to ballcock in header tank=great cold pressure to my cold inlet Grohe manifold
Hot supply is effectively from gravity fed hot water cylinder via a single input/output Turner pump...the feed to the pump comes from the a T junction off the 22mm hot water supply to the bath tap(about 12" below the tap)

Problem is when I switch mixer on, the pump doesn't run...but MAGICALLY..if I leave mixer on and set at ~38deg C I can kick start the pump by opening the bath tap to let the water run for about 2s then shutting the tap..this AMAZINGLY kick starts the pump, and I can have the best shower of my life.

So how do I resolve the problem of this "fawlty towers shower"?

How can I get the pump to work OK without needing the "kick start"

Yours desperately

Ostin

Sponsored Links
The height from the shower head to the cold tank water level is probably not as the pump manual recommends - hence the flowswitch on the pump outlet will not operate unless you first turn on the tap.

You need to put a check valve on the hot pipework to the shower mixer to prevent possible backflow.

With your setup providing unbalanced supply pressures, the temperature control may be poor or not fucntion at all.

Why don't you feed the mixer with hot/cold gravity supplies and install the pump between the mixer and shower head.

Tee'ing off the bath feed pipework is never advisable anyway - see the pump manual.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back