Shower Room Fan (with timer)

I've connected the black to the 'neutral' terminal block in the pull switch
I'll bet you haven't.

On account that there probably isn't one there.

//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:lighting

The installation instructions don't show the neutral connected to the switch, do they...

34000332914231032530186.jpg

Sponsored Links
Thanks again - looking at your drawing this IS how I'd wired it so am looking for reasons why there's nothing doing!
The only thing that I can think is that I've mistaken the live feed cable for the (original) switch cable - they are both running in the same run in the attic & in confined space so it's possible I've fed the dead switch cable into the FCU as the 'live'.
Will have another stab tomorrow - many thanks; will let you know!

Banallsheds - I was referring to the terminal block that's in the light switch that's basically connecting the neutral from the FCU to the fan & light
....as per riveralt's instructions & drawing :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
Hi riveralt
Sorry to be a pain but I've checked everything again and all is as per your diagram but still nothing on either light or fan.
This set up SHOULD be working, right?!! Any other suggestions - apart from getting an electrician in?!
Thanks

The diagram is correct and reflects the manufacturers diagram as well.
Assuming you have wired it correctly...
Is there power to the circuit?
Do you have some form of multi- meter to test between live and neutral at the fcu.
Is there a working fuse in the fcu?
Where does the power to the extractor fan circuit come from?
If it is from another ceiling rose have you wired it correctly there?
Live from the Live loop, neutral from the neutral loop and earth from the earth loop.
Photograph of the connections at the power source, the fcu, the pull switch and the extractor fan would be helpful.

The diagram is correct and reflects the manufacturers diagram as well.
Assuming you have wired it correctly...
Is there power to the circuit?
Do you have some form of multi- meter to test between live and neutral at the fcu. No I don't
Is there a working fuse in the fcu? Yep.
Where does the power to the extractor fan circuit come from? From a juction box - this is the exact cable where the power for the shower room light originally came from
If it is from another ceiling rose have you wired it correctly there? n/a
Live from the Live loop, neutral from the neutral loop and earth from the earth loop.
Photograph of the connections at the power source, the fcu, the pull switch and the extractor fan would be helpful. .....will try and put these on!

Thanks again for your time!

Photograph of the junction box as well please.
You need to get a 'clean' live, neutral and earth - not one that may be relying on switched lives from elsewhere.
I assume you know the difference between the load and supply side at the fcu.

If you muddle those up, then it will either still work, or go bang when turned on.

Yup - all is as it should be - as far as I can tell!
The JBox has many cables into it and this one enters underneath so I'm not sure if a picture would be any good.
I'm going down the lines of thinking the problem IS with this live feed (all else is as per drawing and instructions) - I think I'll get a multi meter to test and go from there.
Thanks again for all your help!

Are you sure you cannot get a live,neutral and earth feed from another ceiling rose?

Hey - success!
Went through all connections AGAIN and tested - all ok.....must've been a loose wire somewhere.
Thanks again for your help :)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back