shower swing door, water runs off it onto floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
hi
basically , got a swing out shower door, and ofcourse the water drips off it when youve had a shower and open the door (great design lol)

well i trying to find something like a tiny ting plastic strip (like a teeny weeny gutter)that i can seal to the bottom inside of the door (at about 5 degs) so when the water hits the door and runs down it hits the little channel and falls back the the hinged side of the door (this side always being inside the cubicle)

its not a new door (we just moved in). do new swing door have them , if not i think id better wipe your memory and patent this myself!

Thanks for help
simon

Sponsored Links
Can't help with your dilemma but we recently fitted a door as you describe and yes it does have a rubber strip thingy which provides a seal when you close the door but also has a drainage channel which drains back into the enclosure when you open the door. So no Dragons Den for you I'm afraid.

Does yours look like it never had one?

Can't help with your dilemma but we recently fitted a door as you describe and yes it does have a rubber strip thingy which provides a seal when you close the door but also has a drainage channel which drains back into the enclosure when you open the door. So no Dragons Den for you I'm afraid.

Does yours look like it never had one?

yes its never had one, i cant find any to retro fit so i might still get on!! :D

Sponsored Links
Simon: You're not the only one with this problem, because its common to virtually all swing-out shower doors/screens.

There are many devices that scrape the water from the ledge of the tub/curb but few that channel/direct the water back to the drain, so, I developed one of my own.

I started with a benign synthetic material that has lots of flexibility, then fashioned it to mount to the bottom of virtually any type of swing door/screen, w/ or w/o a frame. Its transparent and attaches near the bottom of the door/screen with double sided adhesive and overhangs on the hinged/pivot end, so it catches any water running off the door/screen and channels it over the edge and into the tub/pan.

I found that a steeper rake than 5 degrees was better, because the water flow is controlled better.

Its called a "Drip Rail - Universally Adjustable" because the user may configure it to all most any style of swing door/screen using common scissors for user fabrication. I've make and post videos every chance I get, to show how to install one.

The idea is to allow the door/screen to remain open to about 90 degrees to permit fresh dry air to circulate throughout the shower stall, because faster drying, reduces the growth of bacteria and mildew, especially noticeable around the caulk and grout.

I don't plan on any Dragon's Den appearances, I just keep working to solve other common problems that have been overlooked.
Jerome

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back