Siemens hood died after power surge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Im a bit stuck. Basically My siemens LC48950 hood died a death after a power surge. Other appliances were fixed by the Electric company, but not this one and Ive had a look at it myself but im stumped. The fuse is good, so is the transformer. The capacitor appears ok and nothing on the control module looks burnt or fused. Could the relays have blown on the control module? is that possible after a power surge?? Thanks in advance, Dave

Sponsored Links
Why did they "fix other appliances" but not this one? Your home insurance should cover appliances taken out by a power surge if it can be confirmed that this is what actually happened. A power spike can easily take out sensitive electronics. There are two modules on these hoods, a control module & an operating module. Both cost around £90 each depending on which variant you have. There are also digits missing from your model number...it should look something similar to this LC48950GB/01.

Hi. Thanks for the reply. The simple answer is that the electricity company contracted out repairs to another firm who obviously had a lot of households to visit. This meant numerous trips to each household, including mine. They had several different electricians visit for the hood repair and each one disagreed with the other. In the end it didn't get done and we were compensated by the Eleccy Company anyway a token amount as a goodwill gesture. As such i didn't see fit to complain. The first engineer said it was the control module outright. Second disagreed and said it seems fine but didn't point to anything else. Third came, looked at the job sheet, looked around the appliance and offered to contact both previous engineers. That was that. Your right, there are two modules. The operating module hasn't been inspected by anybody so far. Could it be that? The full model number is LC48950GB/02. i did check the price of the control module and it is £97-122
and thats just the control module.....almost doesn't seem worth the gamble thats fine

Sponsored Links
Oh dear....if you accepted compensation then you effectively signed away any rights you might have had :(
It is almost certainly a fried control module even though it looks undamaged. The operating module could also be damaged.
Unfortunately since you accepted their offer you won't get anywhere by complaining now. Sorry :(

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back