Silly

E

EddieM

I did a little research on becoming a fully qualified electrician (no not me!) So as far as I gather, please correct me, as I may well be wrong, you need to attain a C&G 2330 and a C&G 2365 to obtain your coverted JIB card. However these courses are now covered under NVQ qualifications, i.e. you have to be working in the profession to enable you take the courses.

Chicken and daft egg I think, Can't get hired as not qualified, can't train unless hired.

Sorry guys, and this will sound harsh but becoming an electrican, whilst a lot more complex than people think is really not degree worthy. Its similar in other trades too, my ambition "I'd like to dig ditches" oh you need and NVQ in trench safety, for gods bloody sake!!!

Sponsored Links
While certain aspects of electrics are simple, straightforward and not in need of training and qualifications, most of it is, especially if you're going to be charging people for your efforts and their lives are potentially dependent on you getting it right.

You don't have to be employed to get trained - plenty of FE college courses that take students and then help you get work afterwards. Also plenty of large employers who run their own training programmes and take on wannabes and get them through the courses (not as many as before the crash, admittedly ...)

Agreed there are a lot of overcooked demands for "qualifications" before simple tasks can be undertaken, but you ditch-digging was a bad example - plenty of cases of people buried by collapsing trenches on building sites.

pj

I did a little research on becoming a fully qualified electrician (no not me!) So as far as I gather, please correct me, as I may well be wrong, you need to attain a C&G 2330 and a C&G 2365 to obtain your coverted JIB card
Fully qualified electricians and JIB cards are two very different things, and one does not depend on the other.

I don't think the NVQ comes in until level 3, which then requires work based evidence. So you have a couple of years to find yourself some part/full-time work and build a portfolio up!

Sponsored Links
Sorry guys, and this will sound harsh but becoming an electrican, whilst a lot more complex than people think is really not degree worthy.

I have a degree (BSc CompSci), and the written 2391 exam is as hard as the hardest exam I've ever taken.
Sure, it may seem like running cables and screwing things into walls is straight forward, and most of the time, you aren't going to see electricians pull out the calculator to do adiabatic equations or look up the regs for conduit capacity or how much to factor for thermal insulation. But they will know when they need to, and at least know where and how to look it up if it's not something they do every month.

But yes, the JIB route can be hard to break into unless you know people in the industry who can get you your start.

C&G and NVQs are 2 different things.

You can go to college and do a NVQ course and it is based on work based evidence that needs signing off to pass the course you also need to do a lot of classroom work.

JIB like this route and will give you a card saying you are a qualified electrician.

On the other hand you could do a C&G college course and gain the C&G2330 level 3 and C&G2382 17th edition and C&G2392 inspection and testing which is classroom work and workshop work which will learn you the same stuff.

JIB don't like this route and will not class you as an electrician as they think you have no on site experience and will class you as a labourer but most employers will still employ you as an electrician.

Not all employers ask you to be JIB registered.

I was NAECI registered worked for engineering firms and I phoned up JIB and with a degree in Electrical and Electronic engineering C&G 2391, 2382 and what ever the PAT testing one is plus 35 years experience they wanted to give me an electricians mates card. I never bothered. Best bit electricians mates when JIB started were given electricians cards.

I found ability to program a PLC meant companies were not interested in paper qualifications. Until my accident stopped me working never had a problem getting a job.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back