Single Oven and Gas Hob

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I know these types of questions have been asked before but i couldn't find one that matched my query exactly so i thought i would ask.

I have re-fitted my kitchen and now have come to installing my oven and hob. The kitchen used to have an oven connected to a 6mm cable with a 30amp fuse in the main fuse board.

Now i am installing a single oven Baumatic BC145 which stated that it must be fitted to a 13amp double pole fused spur. and also a hob Baumatic B72BL again which states needs to be installed into again a 13amp double fused spur.

In the kitchen as I stated I have the rather chunky 6mm cooker cable from a cooker switch (with red active light) going back to a 30amp fuse in the main fuse board.

I also have one fused spur from a double plug off a ring main.

So my struggle is knowing how to get both the gas hob (ignition) and the oven connected.

Sorry I have have missed any information.

Many thanks for any advice.

Regards
C

Sponsored Links
Hi

Is the fused spur that you mention supplying anything ?

If not you could connect the hob igniter to that with a 3 amp fuse installed.
that would then power the hob

Then if you have got a cooker outlet connection on the wall you could swap that for a single socket outlet and plug the cooker into that you should then downrate the fuse in the consumer unit to a 20amp one

This way you can isolate your cooker with the cooker switch

Gary,

yes the fuse spur doesnt have anything in it at the moment and was always intended for use for the hob ignition. The hob ignition in the maual stated that it should be connected to a double pole 13amp fused spur. Is this still ok to do as you said ?

Secondly the cooker is on a single cooker connection which runs to the main fuse board which has a 30amp fuse in it. So will it be ok then to downgrade the fuse to a 20amp (will this be adequate) and what about the large chunky cabling does this matter ? As this also says that it should be connected to a 13amp double pole fused spur aswell.

Regards and thanks for your reply.

yes the fuse spur doesnt have anything in it at the moment and was always intended for use for the hob ignition. The hob ignition in the maual stated that it should be connected to a double pole 13amp fused spur. Is this still ok to do as you said ?

Yes thats fine

Secondly the cooker is on a single cooker connection which runs to the main fuse board which has a 30amp fuse in it. So will it be ok then to downgrade the fuse to a 20amp (will this be adequate) and what about the large chunky cabling does this matter ? As this also says that it should be connected to a 13amp double pole fused spur aswell.

Yes thats fine
Your cooker switch with the red neon is a double pole switch
you should find that the 6mm cable should just about go inside of the terminals of a single socket outlet so you can just plug the cooker in with a 13 amp fuse installed in the plug.

Sponsored Links
Gaz the Sparky said:
Yes thats fine
Your cooker switch with the red neon is a double pole switch
you should find that the 6mm cable should just about go inside of the terminals of a single socket outlet so you can just plug the cooker in with a 13 amp fuse installed in the plug.

Sorry Gary you confused me with the above and I dont mean to be a pain in the arse.

The current cooker has a huge chunky cable - that goes into a connection point on the wall that leads to a cooker single cooker switch with no plugs but a neon red light. This goes striaght to the fuse board fitted with a 30amp fuse.

What is my best solution - you confused me with the "plug" part.

Remove the cooker connection point (the thing below the countertop) and replace it with a 13A socket and plug the oven into it, no real need to change the fuse to 20A (afterall sockets are designed to be installed on 30A circuits) but if you feel happy doing so then you may as well, may as well take it down to 15A (blue).

Hi read re reply below from C(quote=carlito79uk) . We can't find any help anywhere either regarding specific query. I have put a new kitchen in an upstairs flat and am installing new oven/hob/extractor fan. I need to know if I extend the heavy duty cable - from existing oven and hob (no extractor) Will this cable suffice for all three across the other side of the room.
Many thanks
JSJohn123

carlito79uk said:
Hi, I know these types of questions have been asked before but i couldn't find one that matched my query exactly so i thought i would ask.

I have re-fitted my kitchen and now have come to installing my oven and hob. The kitchen used to have an oven connected to a 6mm cable with a 30amp fuse in the main fuse board.

Now i am installing a single oven Baumatic BC145 which stated that it must be fitted to a 13amp double pole fused spur. and also a hob Baumatic B72BL again which states needs to be installed into again a 13amp double fused spur.

In the kitchen as I stated I have the rather chunky 6mm cooker cable from a cooker switch (with red active light) going back to a 30amp fuse in the main fuse board.

I also have one fused spur from a double plug off a ring main.

So my struggle is knowing how to get both the gas hob (ignition) and the oven connected.

Sorry I have have missed any information.

Many thanks for any advice.

Regards
C

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back