skirting trunking spur.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Small office has power sockets mounted on skirting trunking.

They would like a small water heater above sink.

Thought i could insert an fcu and spur off a socket, but how to get the cable up the wall?

what if any, is the best way to to spur off skirting trunking?

thanks

Sponsored Links
In mini trunking I would guess.

I would butt the trunking to the skirting trunking.

Are you using twin and earth? I would notch the plaster, and come in with the cable through the back of both bits of trunking, so you won't have any visible holes in the skirting trunking if the new work ever gets removed.

Skirting trunking is designed so that spurs are taken off the back, thats ok during the original installation but impossible afterwards, hence your question. :)

You need to cut a section of lid (about 100mm wide) and securly fix it to the trunking. Then drill a hole through the lid into the compartment you require. You can then mount the spur or a besa box on the lid and extend from there.

What are you babbling on about ?

Sponsored Links
Small office has power sockets mounted on skirting trunking.

They would like a small water heater above sink.

Thought i could insert an fcu and spur off a socket, but how to get the cable up the wall?

what if any, is the best way to to spur off skirting trunking?

thanks

i dont know why its being made more complicated than it is.

use mini trunking, mount the surface back box and fcu on top of the socket, wire internally from socklet to fcu, then run up /accross to water heater.

or fit fcu next to socket, remove one leg of ring, wire from socket to fcu and then the org cable back into fcu. adjusting any trucking. then run the trunking / cable out the top of the fcu.

or run new cable / trunking out of socket up to fcu next to the heater.

Thanks.

My concern was passing the data cables above. Did not want to pass mains cable through this compartment.

Thanks.

My concern was passing the data cables above. Did not want to pass mains cable through this compartment.

where have you mentioned data cables?

your not supposed to run data and power together but i havent seen any ill affects of doing this.

The trunking usually has two or three separate comparments, far enough apart to satisfy recommended distances. However to leave upwards may involve passing the data wires if they are on top.

A bit of pragmatism is called for.

You need to cut a section of lid (about 100mm wide) and securly fix it to the trunking. Then drill a hole through the lid into the compartment you require. You can then mount the spur or a besa box on the lid and extend from there

Totally un-necessary and ugly !

Perhaps you could draw a picture of that abortion of a job your proposing to the OP Holslaw, and then we can riducule you some more :D :D :D

To be fair it's not that bad for an office environment, and does overcome the technical problems with data.

But do you run the conduit up that far away from the wall, or do you bend it closer to the wall (heat gun?) ?

You would put a set in the conduit to return it too the wall if pvc then a bending spring would be used, I agree it would look unsightly though but after all it is an office.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back