slate roof to concrete interlocking tiles

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi we have a teraced house over 100 years old the roof has been patched up on a number of times it also has no felt, the general condition is quite poor and we are looking at replacing the whole roof in the grey concrete interlocking tiles like the adjoining house next door. the house is not listed but do i need building regs to change the tiles (concrete are meant to be heavier but over a sq m ive been told there's no difference) also any sugestions on felts to use, i am looking at doing this myself have used these tiles many years ago.

I supose what i'm looking for is a step by step guide, the house is just a straight up and down aprox 12' wide with a chimney on back and front, do i need to put a plastic valley where it meets up with next door or can i just interlock the tiles
any advice would be much appreciated i am reasonably quite switched on, this house is in Wolverhampton i have tried a few roofers already but been let down (agreed to price not knocked down just do it and they don't turn up my time is very precious to me but looks like i'll be doing it i have scaffolding)

Regards Andy

Sponsored Links
I supose what i'm looking for is a step by step guide, the house is just a straight up and down aprox 12' wide with a chimney on back and front, do i need to put a plastic valley where it meets up with next door or can i just interlock the tiles

You can interlock the tiles where the two roofs meet.
The work you propose to do is notifiable.
Things to consider when scaffold is up, upgrade insulation, facings, soffits,gutters.
eave trays, ventilation, leadwork to chimneyheads, vented ridge/wet ridge.
come back with more specific questions if need be.

http://www.diydata.com/general_building/roofing/battens_felt.php

If you are replacing slates with concrete tiles you will need to add structural supports, because concrete tiles are much heavier than slate.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back