Interlocking tiles

Lol. I'm sure people would pay good money to see that. Could be a nice little earner!
:D

Sponsored Links
Well, I can't comment on that one with the curtains open :p
However, 10/10 to you for being observant about your property! So many folks ignore obvious things, then moan like hell when the big bills roll in.
Seasons greetings!
John :)

Thanks John, don't know if i'm observant or just paranoid!
Merry Christmas to you too when it comes.
Emma.

Saga update. I had a roofer out today for free winter check.
He's advising that the 2 tiles i had replaced in jan after a storm are the wrong size (see pic).
Says they are ridge tiles and should be hip tiles. Also says the mortar is falling off (which is true) and that whoever replaced them didn't use pva in the mortar.
He's given me a quote of £260-£280 to replace these tiles and also sort out about 6 tiles which aren't interlocking/sitting properly. (Again i don't know if this is important or not).
Should i be getting this done? A previous roofer who was out 3 wks ago said he thought they would be ok as there would be plenty cement to keep water out.
Just get so many conflicting stories don't know who to believe?

Sponsored Links
Aha the roofing saga continues :p
Your recent roofer is correct - those tiles are too big in every dimension, and shouldn't really have been fitted in the first place.
They don't look very pretty, but there does seem to be enough mortar to keep them in place.
PVA is added to the cement mix just to give it extra adhesion - not strictly necessary but still worthwhile. More important at this time of year is to protect the roof tiles from frost when any new mortar is setting.
Whether you decide to have them done is really up to you....I wouldn't say the job is particularly urgent, but if mortar has gone missing then it should be attended to. There may be mortar missing from other places - there often is!
To do this work plus seeing to other stuff as he goes, the price is very fair.

The free survey he offers is to create work for himself! the 2 hip tiles are half round ridge tiles as opposed to third round hip, apart from aesthetics changing them will make no difference.

And 280 quid! he is taking you for a ride.

Thanks guys. Don't know whether to just leave it as it is at the mo. I take it he will have put more mortar underneath the tiles when he put them on?

If more mortar falls off is it worth getting someone to repoint them or should they be taking them off along with the 2 older hip tiles, putting the right size tile on and rebedding them all?

We agree, aesthetics is largely the issue here (missing mortar excepted.....thats the bit we are unsure about).
If the guy is generally able to make things good on the rest of the roof, the decision has to come from Emma......I for one don't go tap dancing around on roofs for 10 bob.
We've probably confused her even more now :p

Thanks guys. Don't know whether to just leave it as it is at the mo. I take it he will have put more mortar underneath the tiles when he put them on?

If more mortar falls off is it worth getting someone to repoint them or should they be taking them off along with the 2 older hip tiles, putting the right size tile on and rebedding them all?

If he removes and replaces the hip tiles with the correct ones, then old mortar will need to be chipped away and new stuff added, both underneath the tile and on the side. He sounds like he's a sound enough guy to make good any other loose stuff at the same time.

Sorry not my intention to muddy the waters john, just irks me someone paying 280 quid for a couple of hip tiles and a refix a handful of tiles.

This is a job best done in the spring as if there is an overnight frost after bedding new hips it will bleach.

It irks me too. Especially when i paid someone to do it 10 mths ago and got a botch job! Checked out reviews of this roofer who was out today and the term 'cowboy' was used a few times so think i will have to get more roofers out for quotes.

Can i ask what do you mean by 'bleach'? (sorry not too up on roofing terms).
Also, does he need to take off the old hip tiles too?
Thanks.

I know what you mean, price wise folks (just had me Audi serviced at £80 per hour, vat and parts extra :eek: :p )
I guess it depends on how long the guy will be on the job really....for a couple of hours or so then it is a rip off, if he's there all day then less so.
The days when roofers would scramble around with a pair of trainers on are thankfully diminishing....up here its a mobile tower at least or a small scaffold, and I can't blame them for that!
Anyway Emma, a bleach is usually salts leeching out of the concrete tile, some do it, some don't. As Alistair says, the same happens with the cement from time to time. Its also a good point to have them done when the frosts have gone, as recommended. The neighbouring hip tiles needn't be disturbed if he's careful taking the odd ones off, but theres a high chance of them breaking anyway.

What a can of worms this roof is. Just noticed what i think is a slipped tile at top of where lead flashing starts. (This might have been caused by the guy who said he would do a free winter check).

As the tile is just beneath the mechanically fixed ridge (starting to pick up the lingo here folks) will my Dad be able to just slide the tile back in or is it more complex than that?

Thanks Alastair. He tried to get up there today to take a look but there's been too much rain so too slippy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back