sleepers as pond edge

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,

Hoping someone can give me some advice...

I'm digging a small wildlife pond this winter using a liner. On two sides, which will border a gravel area I want to use sleepers as an edge (just cheap softwood ones from the garden centre, not real ones). So the two sleepers will form a right angle, but will be above the water level if that makes sense! The liner would sort of tuck under them I guess.

My question is do I need to fix them solidly in place, if so how?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
If you screw them together then that should help with stability. (I think I might be able to just make out a nail or screwhead in your picture on the pond side of the sleeper, near where they touch.).

Laying them on concrete would be better and would be nicely covered by of the gravel. Easier, but not as neat would be to drive stakes into the ground to fasten the sleepers to that.

Some inspiration here: http://www.pavingexpert.com/featur08.htm .

Sponsored Links
Thanks

Just had a thought though, they would be on top of the liner. Can I just mortar on top of it?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back