Slipped Purlin

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi chaps,
We are currently in the progress of buying our first home its 2 1750s sandstone cottages which have been knocked through about 50 years ago into one, the whole house is in some need of TLC.

I have been hunting through the message boards for the past few weeks for information regarding slipped / rotten purlins. We have had a buildings survey which confirmed our initial suspicion with regard to this area of the roof.

The picture above (not the best) shows the party wall pictured with cracking and a panelled over roof purlin (left) which has slipped from its slot. The cracking to the party wall is only evident on this side of wall none on the other, and there is no dipping or sagging in the exterior roof line. Because the property was once 2 and they were not straight there is a slight hip in the roof at this point (and side of the building) but the roof line is straight. The surveyor identified in his report a slipped purling probably due to rot. He identified a splice would probably be necessary to repair this and re-seat it on its pad. He did not anticipate any problem with the cracking.

While I enjoy DIY with this being a structural element of the roof I will probably get a roofer or builder in to carry out the work. But was looking for opinions on the cracking is it a bigger issue than appear to be of been let on or is it a non issue and can I simply plaster over it? Will the job of reseating / splicing the roof purling be a major / expensive one?

Thanks for your help
Dave

Sponsored Links
Only if on further inspection the whole purlin needs replacing..

Anyways your photo doesnt really help, so best get in at least 3 builder/roofers and get some quotes and advice from them..

Anyways your photo doesnt really help, so best get in at least 3 builder/roofers and get some quotes and advice from them..

Lets see a better photo .
How old is the property and I will assume it is a 2 story property ?.
Where in cumbria are you ?.
What is it that concerns you most ?.
Dont worry- everything is solvable .

Lets see a better photo .
How old is the property and I will assume it is a 2 story property ?.
Where in cumbria are you ?.
What is it that concerns you most ?.
Dont worry- everything is solvable .
1750 --got it .

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies guys and I realise not the greatest picture. Will get another viewing later this week or next and grab a few more pictures and update the post.

It is 1750s and the timber is going into the party wall between what was the two cottages so in middle of the building.

It is 2 stories high with the second floor been about half in the roof line.

Externally the roof is immaculate no slipped broken or repaired tiles ridge tiles well pointed and no sagging. The roof void has sparking felt under the tiles which lead the surveyor to think some work has been done on the roof recentish.

My 2 concerns is the cracking and if it is structural. We got a seperate valuation survey today from the lender which Identified what they believe as water ingress through chimney stack which would be along that wall. But again there is no evidence of movement on the other side so could simply be superficial.

The slippage of the purlin is secondary if there is no movement in the roof line I assume it is not a major issue? and that it simply needs reseating / splicing. I will try get some more pictures of the timber annoyingly they are clad in plaster board (same through out house) but will see what I can get may also try get a quote from a builder. Thanks for your help.

Dave

Is the party wall brick or random stone?
Is the chimney stack brick or random stone?
At some stage you will have to cut back and expose the last say 600mm of the purlin plaster board sheathing,
and the surrounding wall plaster where necessary - so why not do it now and take pics?
Does a purlin copy cat in the next room/house ?
Carefully examine for damp all the upper wall surfaces esp. near the c/breast, both houses.
From a ladder view the stack flashing/flaunching ( bino's help ). Take pics.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back