smart meters should you get one ??

Sponsored Links
In a "smart" meter that relay could be remotely operated to enforce load shedding when demand exceeds the power available from the grid.

Much better in an emergency, if the system is suffering an overload, than entire areas having their power cut - including hospitals and other, similar essentials, if individuals consumers can be cut off supply. Much more granular, too.

I was surprised the program last evening, seemed to appear to be mostly positive towards SM's. Good news, makes for no news.

Much better in an emergency, if the system is suffering an overload, than entire areas having their power cut - including hospitals and other, similar essentials, if individuals consumers can be cut off supply. Much more granular, too.

I was surprised the program last evening, seemed to appear to be mostly positive towards SM's. Good news, makes for no news.
i was very disappointed they did not go to lengths on the chap claiming £600 down to about £150 to find out why that amount as it would need a massive reduction on an industrial scale £450= about 1476 units a month or 50 units a day

i was very disappointed they did not go to lengths on the chap claiming £600 down to about £150 to find out why that amount as it would need a massive reduction on an industrial scale £450= about 1476 units a month or 50 units a day

I assumed he was making good use of the best tariff for his type of usage.

Sponsored Links
I am on Octopus tracker tariff but without a smart meter, i just upload the readings via the app every few days when I can remember.

I managed to see the program on Saturday evening. I also wondered about the massive difference in consumption. He must doing many things completely differently to make that difference unless he's stopped using electric permanently connected radiators.
The woman who made comment about using an electrically heated clothes airer might be a short term saving but where is the condensate going to settle? That could be a long term cost.
The dates quoted I disagree with - I was going have one in 2003 when I had a job that involved a lot of travel so at the time thought a SM would be helpful, man turned up, looked where the meter boxes are, said it's pointless me changing your meter as there is no mobile coverage to allow one to work which he demonstrated. Since then I haven't bothered and now against having one.

And one item I really will dispute, I'm very convinced (certain) that Smart Meter reading polled 'over the air' are routed to the supply company through central point and stored at that point. Why am I so convinced? When I last changed supplier they disputed my Handover readings and had to supply photos of the meters. When questioned they made comment about a 'Common, Central data warehouse ' that said my readings were not correct.

That claim needs a serious fact check as I think it’s massively misleading

From what I gathered he was a very high usage consumer so after getting a SM was able to move his car charging etc from 29 pence to a time when it was 8ish
that may be part off the answer but at a 70% saving he would still be paying for 30% off the unit value??
so at around 20p per unit saved would be around 3000 a month or 100 a day ??[all aproximate ]

that may be part off the answer but at a 70% saving he would still be paying for 30% off the unit value??
so at around 20p per unit saved would be around 3000 a month or 100 a day ??[all aproximate ]
We thought the savings seemed exaggerated but didnt wait for a full explanation cos they kept jumping back and for .He was explaining something about 3 phase .

Not on your Nelly!

Anything tech with 'smart' (phone, car, meter, tv, etc) in the title is automatically off my list.

I'm the polar opposite, I like my tech, always have, and grasp it with both arms. I just wish it were as easy to get a grip of as when I was younger.

I'm the polar opposite, I like my tech, always have, and grasp it with both arms. I just wish it were as easy to get a grip of as when I was younger.
The frightened luddites are alive and well on the forum, as they clatter into the distance on their horse and cart.

Sponsored Links
Back