Smells from Hotpoint WD440

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I just moved back from living abroad for 2 years. I rented my house for this time and returned to find the washing machine a bit smelly. I've done multiple empty washes with washing machine cleaning powder and no luck. Any ideas / tips for cleaning it out?

thanks.

Sponsored Links
remove the powder and softener drawer and scrub it out in hot water, also the slot it fits into

you may need to use Kitchen Cleaner with Bleach and an old toothbrush if there is black mildew

your cleaning washes should be at max heat with no powder, and preferably some old cotton sheets

Thanks, it is on a full heat wash right now. The powder draw is clean and fine, the smell is in the drum, but it all looks clean.

it is usually caused by congealed old soap powder in the drum (due to cold washes and/or too much powder) and pipes, but sometimes a sock gone down the gap twixt drum and tub and gone rotten .

you can tell if it contains old soap, when you put cotton towels in with no powder an an extra-hot wash , it foams up as the old powder slowly dissolves (I said sheets before but I meant cotton towels).

I am assuming you have looked at the route the waste hose takes, and it goes up higher than the sink so dirty sink water can't get in it?

Sponsored Links
bottle of white vinegar on a boil wash 90 degrees .repeat 3 times that will clean it up and smell nice .

bottle of white vinegar on a boil wash 90 degrees .repeat 3 times that will clean it up and smell nice .

I'm going to try this tomorrow. I've tried over 10 x 90 degree washes with all sorts of cleaning stuff in and no improvement. The waste hose is all fine as well.

give the rubbery door seal a good clean too. you may find it has a groove in it where grime can lurk, take out the pump filter and clean it too. there may be rotting fluff and rags.

Smell is gone. Tried multiple things and in the end soda crystals and then tesco descaler. All good now.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back