Smoke from Washine Machine

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our Hotpoint WMT02 was doing it's spin cycle today and after a god awful noise, smoke dispersed form the machine. I suspect the drum motor has burnt out. Is this a write off or can it be repaired for a reasonable price, the m/c is 2 years old

Thanks

Sponsored Links
it will be expensive for you to do it, and suppose its not the motor, this is a case where you should call hotpoint , as parts are free for 5 years.

Thanks Breezer

I never knew about the parts, I'll do just that.

Cheers

parts are free, only if supplied and fitted by hotpoint engineer

Sponsored Links
and you may find that the hotpoint engineer charges so much for the labour, that to you, the parts aren’t really FREE!

I got a quote of €65 to replace the inlet valve on a whirlpool washing machine (which had free parts warranty). I bought the valve directly from whirlpool for €30 and fitted it myself. I know very little about appliances and in your case when you don’t know exactly know what’s wrong.......

But bear in mind the price of a new :mad: HOTPOINT :mad:

hotpoint do not supply all parts to joe public, such as motors (there were at last count 8 differnt ones, but 6 of them will fit in same palce)

my point is that unless you know what you are doing, and what is at fault call a service engineer you may also wish to see this

yes technically speaking the parts are not "free" but did you know that hotpoint also make creda branded washing machines, which cost less, almost identical, but the reason they cost less is only free parts for one year, so yes you are right, in your case of water inlet valve that is easy to fix, but with smoke, what caused the motor to burn out, buy another motor, put it on and watch it burn out too, marvelous. a hotpoint engineer is trained to look for other faults too, and or cause of problem. the diy person is not.

Good point breezer, i was just making the point about the labour costing so much. As for creda, the washing machine will be fully covered, parts and labour in ireland anyway for 12mts. All appliances are.

As for the link, if i see it again i'll........ :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

I remembered a few years back that Hotpoint was charging a minimum £90 call out fee for our washing machine.Didn't want to buy another Hotpoint but have just brought a Hotpoint tall fridge as it fit our description and come with a 1 year labour & parts plus an extra £54 for another 4 years warranty for labour & parts & if a Hotpoint can't repair your product,they will give me a brand new one.I must say I was surprised for a good value regarding £54 for another 4 years.

Got it fixed for the maximum £90 call out charge...new drum fitted along with some other stuff, about £200 worth of parts (he said!). I think it is the luck of the draw, you could pay £90 for a £5 part fitted or in my case get a pretty good deal.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back