So many 'Dont's'!

The workplace has become safer but at what cost?
Thousands of lives saved. I know you are filled with hatred and murderous intent but, for once, acknowledge things like children working as chimney sweeps was not good for their health. But you won't...

Sponsored Links
Yeah lets bring asbestos back
Funny you should mention that...

"Safety rules to protect children from dangerous toys and in vehicles, as well as to prevent exposure to asbestos, are set to be scrapped as part of a bonfire of EU laws, campaigners are warning.

The alarm is also being raised over the removal of regulations to guard against accidents on construction sites and other workplaces and to alert shoppers to potentially deadly allergens in foods."

Linky Linky

One of those 'brexit bonuses' ? :rolleyes:

I agree with you (for once) in that companies apply H&S to stop workers putting in claims, but it is also true that we have become sheeple in blindly accepting this situation. The workplace has become safer but at what cost? I saw a breathtaking figure of how much of their GDP Americans spend on "compliance", it is something like a quarter- not just on H&S but all manner of silly government regulations. Most of it is unnecessary and lines the pockets of lawyers. We have copied that model, thanks to Tony Blair.
Workers couldn't and didn't just blindly accept the rules. They were forced on them by those responsible, the people who would be affected by big money claims.

Blame those trying to avoid paying out for injury and death, often without removing the risks involved, not those who have to follow the rules.

Sponsored Links
s. Blair and his wife, both lawyers, capitalised on these changes
The world we now live in was created by lawyers.
Clinton and his wife Hilary were lawyers, Obama was a lawyer, Zelensky, Putin, Castro, Mahatma macGhandi, Nelson Mandela trained in law.
The EU is full of politcians with legal backgrounds.
What could go wrong.

The health and safety workplace signs are one thing, but I came across this list of demands outside a little independent retail shop in a small town, clearly put there by the proprietors out of choice rather than legislation.
shopwarnings-3896.jpg

I reflected, was the owner of the shop mad or was it the townsfolk? In my contemplation of this quandary I inadvertently left the door open, and it was a very cold day. The lady of the shop, (in truth she was far from ladylike) barged passed me and slammed the door shut and inquired if I was born in a field! - seriously.

I wonder if her list of posted conditions was added to with a "Door must be closed on a cold day"

The health and safety workplace signs are one thing, but I came across this list of demands outside a little independent retail shop in a small town, clearly put there by the proprietors out of choice rather than legislation.
shopwarnings-3896.jpg

I reflected, was the owner of the shop mad or was it the townsfolk? In my contemplation of this quandary I inadvertently left the door open, and it was a very cold day. The lady of the shop, (in truth she was far from ladylike) barged passed me and slammed the door shut and inquired if I was born in a field! - seriously.

I wonder if her list of posted conditions was added to with a "Door must be closed on a cold day"

Could have saved herself the trouble, and just used this simpler sign instead :LOL:

business-store-owner-turning-closed-sign-shop-doorway_52137-31876.jpg

I saw a breathtaking figure of how much of their GDP Americans spend on "compliance", it is something like a quarter- not just on H&S but all manner of silly government regulations. Most of it is unnecessary and lines the pockets of lawyers. We have copied that model, thanks to Tony Blair.
Yes, it is completely wrong to allow untrained, incompetent people to use plant on sites, erect scaffolding towers, etc. But at least they get to go home every night.

As a joiner the biggest change came out of legislation passed in the 1970s, such as the 1974 Woodworking Machinery Act and the 1974 Health and Safety at Work Act (not sure if they were Heath or Wilson acts). But what about the one which set the ball rolling - the 1802 Health and Morals of Apprentices Act? That Henry Addington has a lot to answer for! (And to save you looking it up, he was PM in 1802 - and he was a Tory)

the 1802 Health and Morals of Apprentices Act
That's when the interfering started,

• The employer must have an “age certificate” for all child workers.
  • No child workers employed under the age of nine.
  • Maximum nine-hour days for workers between the ages of nine and thirteen
  • Maximum twelve-hour days for workers between thirteen and eighteen
  • No children allowed to work at night

Pesky commie governments...

That's when the interfering started,

• The employer must have an “age certificate” for all child workers.
  • No child workers employed under the age of nine.
  • Maximum nine-hour days for workers between the ages of nine and thirteen
  • Maximum twelve-hour days for workers between thirteen and eighteen
  • No children allowed to work at night

Pesky commie governments...

And not a sign in sight (y)

And not a sign in sight (y)
No, just a red line drawn on the signing in box, and if you were 5 minutes late they docked you an hour, 15 minutes late and they docked you two hours... No hold on, there really were places like that until the 1975 Employment Act banned such practices

Yes, it is completely wrong to allow untrained, incompetent people to use plant on sites, erect scaffolding towers, etc. But at least they get to go home every night.

As a joiner the biggest change came out of legislation passed in the 1970s, such as the 1974 Woodworking Machinery Act and the 1974 Health and Safety at Work Act (not sure if they were Heath or Wilson acts). But what about the one which set the ball rolling - the 1802 Health and Morals of Apprentices Act? That Henry Addington has a lot to answer for! (And to save you looking it up, he was PM in 1802 - and he was a Tory)
There has been a massive reduction in accidents in woodworking as a result of HSE legislation, although it can be pretty onerous.

as an owner of a joinery shop I required to do these:

every 14 months COSHH testing of dust extraction
every 12 months testing of compressed air system
every 12 months forklift testing
every 12 months heater test
every 3 years forklift driving license
every 5 years fixed electrical installation test
fire safety report
DSEAR report (fire and explosion)
control of noise report
asbestos management plan
health and safety plan
first aider training

A lot of stuff for a company employing under 10 staff.

BUT: if it’s not legislation , business owners would never get around to it.

Sponsored Links
Back